Clicking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Silly question, perhaps. But I've noticed a 'clicking' sound from the hives when they are busy. Does anyone know what that is?

Silly question, perhaps. But I've noticed a 'clicking' sound from the hives when they are busy. Does anyone know what that is?

Could it be thousands of wings flapping, to help air move around, and remove moisture from honey?

Not a silly question.
There are several strange noises that come from hives. I don't know the answer.

At this time of year, if you put your ear close to the hive, particularly near the box joints I find you hear a lot of 'clicking' type noises which I'm pretty sure are the bees laying down the propolis.
I always like listening to them chewing up the newspaper when I do a unite - it can be quite loud!

I discovered (by process of elimination) that the clicking is caused by the bees on the Open Mesh Floor. What I'm not sure about is whether they are using their mandibles to test its resilience, or if their claws (ungues) are slipping through and catching on the edges of the perforations.

Back