Clearest honey I've ever harvested.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Just jarring this year's honey. First harvest from a new site on the edge of an ancient woodland and it's the thinnest clearest honey I've ever seen!

It's all summer stuff as we didn't get a spring crop with the cold May.

I fed in May for two weeks when the girls were desperate but didn't have supers on and this started going into the supers mid way to the end of June.

16326523808033125412805023112852.jpg

Borage maybe, have you an idea yourself.

Mine still shows no sign of crystalising which will be a first here!

The clearest I ever have seen so far was from Shetland from fushia. It was virtually colourless.

PH

So this apiary is on the edge of Hainault Forest. In the other direction mostly farmland with a bit of dairy and horse pasture the rest arable.

My RBI did mention that it's a borage area so that could be it although I haven't seen any.

The forest is full of Holly, Hawthorne and blackthorn with some brambles so more of a spring flow from there.

I think there are some lime trees within reach as well.

I've had buckets of the same thin pale honey this year and tastes of nothing really.
The bees have brought in lime without fail every year up until now but not a drop this summer. 🙁
Some 20%, some 21% . Very disappointing.
I'm going to have to have a word with them next year!😉

Just jarring this year's honey. First harvest from a new site on the edge of an ancient woodland and it's the thinnest clearest honey I've ever seen!

I fed in May for two weeks when the girls were desperate but didn't have supers on and this started going into the supers mid way to the end of June.

View attachment 28514
My very first honey harvest is the same colour, two huge borage fields close by

View attachment 28514
Did you test the water content?

Latest posts

Back