Clearer board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
I'n currently doing a trap out using porter bees escapes which as you've guessed keep getting blocked. The only other clearer board I've used is a Canadian which is fine but the bees can get back up if they want.

Which is the best escape that is one way for certain but which does not get blocked?

Reading the books there are many but I'v no experience of them.

Hi Peter
I use a Rhombus Escape and I find it sooooooooooo much easier then the porter escape

I buy a rhombus escape, cut it in half and staple it over two holes in diagonally opposite corners, holes are 20mm or so.

Put a run of timber round the board, say 20mm stock to give a bit of space fro them to exit into. Super you are clearing goes on the flat side and off you go.

Put on in the afternoon and remove in the morning and they are pretty good.

No moving parts.

PH

PH, when you put on your half rhombus do you turn them so they clear to the centre or do they clear parallel to the sides.
I've seen home made ones fitted towards the centre but was concerned if I did this I would have to fill the cut end of tge rhombus and if it didnt matter it would be easier to fit this flush to the edging ridge.

Thanks, I can only get my husband to make bee equipment if he has very clear instructions and doesnt need to modify them because i've changed my mind.

We have used the porter escapes and we can honestly say they are useless. Everytime they were blocked. Took poly hives advise and used the cut up rhombus escapes and worked a treat.

We have used the porter escapes and we can honestly say they are useless. Everytime they were blocked. Took poly hives advise and used the cut up rhombus escapes and worked a treat.

I've always used porter escapes both metal and plastic :bigear:.
Properly adjusted and removed on completion of clearing operation ensures a satisfactory job !

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back