clear jelly at entrance ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickndoris

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
There seems to be a big puddle of clear jelly at the entrance to one of the hives I look after. Its a poly hive with wood floor. Treated with Hive Makers varroa treatment with lady's pant pad as a soak. Has a feeder on but empty which has 2-1 sugar and a touch of thymol again Hive Makers sticky post one.
At first I thought it was clear crystallized sugar, but on touching found it to be jelly, almost like silicone as it is very slippy. It has no odour and on tasting no flavour or sweetness. The bees seem to like it whatever it may be. Any ideas?
It has been very warm the last few days and high humidity with sun shine in between showers. Still warm today at 18+'c
Hope the bit rubbish picture shows as from my phone.

Apparently they put silicon gel in panty thing although I am no expert on such things

they use the same stuff gardeners use as water retaining crystals.
it will be some crystals that have soaked up the liquid treatment and made a mad dash for the exit

why did you lick it ??
what did you expect it to taste of, ??

just thinking where it originated from, dont think ( NO, I know) i wouldnt lick it !!!

:eek:

Ahh yea but no but ERM,,,,, could have been a homer Simpson moment whilst he was licking frogs:)
The bees were licking it? ;)
Will try and post picture again. It seems android tablets are not a favourite with forums.
Gell in panty things? Will check them out. Aldi's overnight heavy duty jobbies.

Try anything once....within reason......

Ladies' mice are just absorbant fibre based. Roadkill mice are like small nappies and contain water retaining gel of various types.

There seems to be a big puddle of clear jelly at the entrance to one of the hives I look after. Its a poly hive with wood floor. Treated with Hive Makers varroa treatment with lady's pant pad as a soak. Has a feeder on but empty which has 2-1 sugar and a touch of thymol again Hive Makers sticky post one.
At first I thought it was clear crystallized sugar, but on touching found it to be jelly, almost like silicone as it is very slippy. It has no odour and on tasting no flavour or sweetness. The bees seem to like it whatever it may be. Any ideas?
It has been very warm the last few days and high humidity with sun shine in between showers. Still warm today at 18+'c

lol i just spat my coffee out reading that

I presume you must be dick from dickndoris as surely doris would have known there was absorbent gel stuff in the pannty things lol

sry but...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

funniest thing i have read in a while

It is Friday I guess;-)
just wont have any of the uploading. may need a non 3g wifi. pictures are not that good anyway but will give you an idea of oooooz. lickable jelly ooooooz;-)
:ohthedrama:

wow is all I can say to this thread. Thanks for the laugh :rofl:

It is silica gel I believe it is toxic to an extent, the girls probably tested it as food!! and then:ack2: woosh bits of micro carrot an all

Still can't upload pictures for some odd reason.
So, this morning I dissected a pad and indeed there are small crystals in between the layers and when wet look just like the entrance jelly. Does that sound right;-) may just use tissue for the next round:)

Latest posts

Back