Clear cover on Maisie's nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
Good morning all, I need to buy some clear flexible plastic to use as crown board on Maisie's nucs to avoid bees building brace comb under the roof. Checked on their website and the P&P will cost me more than the boards. Also had a quick browse online for something suitable but not sure what I need to get. Is it .25 acetate sheets or something different? Thanks

Good morning all, I need to buy some clear flexible plastic to use as crown board on Maisie's nucs to avoid bees building brace comb under the roof. Checked on their website and the P&P will cost me more than the boards. Also had a quick browse online for something suitable but not sure what I need to get. Is it .25 acetate sheets or something different? Thanks
What about using a layer of parchment paper on top of the frames works for me and would be cheaper Jeff.

What about using a layer of parchment paper on top of the frames works for me and would be cheaper Jeff.
They may chew it off especially if I put fondant over. If I recall correctly I am limited with thickness of material due to the roof slotting shape. I may have a look at thick polyethylene sheet.

They may chew it off especially if I put fondant over. If I recall correctly I am limited with thickness of material due to the roof slotting shape. I may have a look at thick polyethylene sheet.
I have used ordinary "building grade" polythene (left over piece from a slab for a shed, so would be at least 500gauge, happens to be blue but just about see through) it works well enough as a crown board and you can cut very precisely if you want to.

They may I've not had any problems with it it on my mini nucs, I agree with Murox some dpc poly would be thicker

Why not leave the feeder on?
If I lose the crown board on my paynes nuc I use a sheet of poly, dpm is fine.

And hence my misgivings about these new roofs.
I have left the feeders on until now to avoid that but it's a pain if you want to put fondant. I have heard a few putting fondant in one of the side compartment but I prefer to put mine just over the cluster as bees would not go up during a cold spell.

I have left the feeders on until now to avoid that but it's a pain if you want to put fondant. I have heard a few putting fondant in one of the side compartment but I prefer to put mine just over the cluster as bees would not go up during a cold spell.
Ah, a flap can be cut in polythene sheet to allow access to fondant.

Depends how many you need but Paynes have the full size national ones in their winter sale .. shipping is £7.99 but if you need a few of them and you can get two Nucs out of each sheet ...

https://paynesbeefarm.co.uk/collect...ucts/spare-flexi-crownboard-for-poly-national

Jeff,
I have those sacks, woven plastic? I'd be concerned they could get messy and 'bitty'. I use fairly heavy gauge plastic sheets with a little flap cut into them. Last lot were made from the plastic that covered a rug. Use the roof as a template to cut and this gives you a slight overlap that the roof holds firmly in place when fitted.
I hate the perspex covers.

As with my dummy boards, I make simple flat crownboards from OSB, with a central hole, for the box's with deep roofs.
I've dozens of park box's and made the mistake only once, taking the feeders off.

I make covers from correx. It's obviously not transparent but it is stiff and doesn't lift the roof too much.

Latest posts

Back