cleaning round plastic fast feeders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sainfoin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How do you clean propolis out of the confined inner bit of the underside? Having soaked, and scraped and fiddled about is life long enough to donate about an hour each to this job, excluding soaking times! Best in hot or cold washing soda?

Very hot water with washing soda. Leave for 2 mins then use kitchen brush to rub off. I also fill the bee access area with same - I then dish washer-- but I AM SWMBO :D

How do you clean propolis out of the confined inner bit of the underside? ...

After you have got it clean, consider how much effort the bees have also wasted on the underside of the 'cone'.
After you've thought about that, and the effort of cleaning it, you'll next be thinking of what you can block it off with, to avoid the whole performance.
I've also made up some (ply) feeder boards with holes that match the entrance to the feeder. It then helps to mark (felt tip?) around the feeder-in-position so that you can quickly and accurately align the feeder to the hole without having to release the bees...

my wife is asking how to get propolis of the white sink in the kitchen lol.

i'm thinking of filling the holes in the bottom of my feeders it's a pain getting the bees out of them never mind the propolis.

After you have got it clean, consider how much effort the bees have also wasted on the underside of the 'cone'.
After you've thought about that, and the effort of cleaning it, you'll next be thinking of what you can block it off with, to avoid the whole performance.
I've also made up some (ply) feeder boards with holes that match the entrance to the feeder. It then helps to mark (felt tip?) around the feeder-in-position so that you can quickly and accurately align the feeder to the hole without having to release the bees...
Good point, there's a basic mis-match there between the design of the plastic feeder (French) and the usual National cover board (UK). Is there scope for one of the larger manufacturers to commission a matching hole version? A quick/cheap alternative in the meantime might be a blank cut from something thin (ice cream tub lid?) to cover the void leaving only a circular hole. Could be attached to the board, or maybe easier taped to the feeder - peel off and the cavity only needs a quick rinse end of season. Making a couple to try is on the winter list.

Leave the feeders outside over a cold night, flick the now brittle propolis off, the bit that remains is sterile/stable enough for future use . The bees will appreciate the start it will give them the next used :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This might a dumb question but hey....... Does it matter if you don't actually remove all of the propolis from Summer equipment like feeders and Queen Excluders? Can it harbour 'nasties'? I was under the impression that it had natural antibacterial properties. Thought I read it somewhere but maybe I'm just making it up?????
Obviously if you knew that a hive had disease you would presumably scorch, disinfectant everything, but otherwise?

Just think it good hygiene to clean everything as much as pos unless you know it's going back onto same hive. Even then I personally would. Just good practice.

I was under the impression that it had natural antibacterial properties. Thought I read it somewhere but maybe I'm just making it up?????
No, you are not making this up.
Still better to be on the safe side.
Cazza

I seem to recall that Finman commented on a number of occasions that he used/uses Cillit Bang to clean poly hives etc. It would probably work on the Rapid feeders too.

My father and I clean our plastic, poly and stainless kit with either Washing soda crystals or with caustic soda. The caustic works better but needs careful use. As noted above, undiluted bleach is useful too.

those round feeders fit perfectly in a super directly on top of top bars in MB poly LS nucs.

get covered in propolis and leave a nice "target" when removed.

Use a metal nail file to remove the propolis from the nooks and crannies..."awkward spaces"

Latest posts

Back