Cleaning out granulated supers of drone comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
Last year I ended up with some supers with drone comb filled with granulated honey that I was unable to extract. I used some as stores under the brood boxes over winter and were cleared. I still have a few that I would like to get the bees to clear so so can be used as fresh supers again this year. Any suggestions how to get them to do this?

There was a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. Think the key was to dissolve the granulated honey in cold water.

Scrape the cappings and run the frames under the hot tap, then holding the frames upside down shake of the surplus water with a hearty downward movement and then give the frames back to the bees to let them clean them up. They will relish the liquid and start re-using the cells quite quickly.

There was a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. Think the key was to dissolve the granulated honey in cold water.

Not cold water, luke warm will do it much faster. Leave them uncapped upside down in a sinkful of warm water for half an hour. Shake out, job done. (Did this for some manky bait hive comb yesterday.)
Cazza

Last year I ended up with some supers with drone comb filled with granulated honey that I was unable to extract. I used some as stores under the brood boxes over winter and were cleared. I still have a few that I would like to get the bees to clear so so can be used as fresh supers again this year. Any suggestions how to get them to do this?

If you really want the bees to clear them rather than using other methods keep them until needed later in the year

Latest posts

Back