Cleaning melting Jug

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosquito

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I got a wax jug like the picture.
I have dyed some wax green to make green candles.
But can't think of a good way to clean it??:svengo:

Any Idea??

picture.php

Getting the thin layers left over wax out.
Tryed friezing and hair dryer.
But you still end up with some wax left.

Last edited:
Ahhhh..........it all becomes clear now :)

Well I don't know, but have some vague ideas........ if you leave it somewhere dry, the wax will eventually flake out, you may not have time for that though, otherwise a solvent of some sort, but then you'd end up with solvent/wax mix but that then may be soapy water washable. I'm sure now we all understand what you mean someone will come up with a brighter idea. :cheers2:

Frisbee

Getting the thin layers left over wax out.
Tryed friezing and hair dryer.
But you still end up with some wax left.

It might be awkward with that shape of jug but on a parallel sided one with a wide neck I used a hot air paint stripper, then using oven gloves to hold the jug ram in a bundle of paper towels and rotate. If the jug is hot enough then this will remove virtually all the wax.

Any residual wax left over can be removed with some caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) in a water solution, or with a spray on oven cleaner

Back in the dark ages, I used to clean the worst of the wax from my (metal) candle moulds by putting them upside down on a tray in the oven. And turning the oven on to a very low heat for a pretty short time.

Used to get the worst of the wax out, and the rest was soft enough to be able to remove with kitchen paper.

Had to be very careful, though, with making the oven floor and shelves as wax-proof as possible - Lady DeadDiplomat could be a fearsome sight otherwise!

Latest posts

Back