Cleaning Melli flow or Api melter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Twidle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been 2 different suggestions for cleaning out a Melli flow after use. One is to use salt (sodium chloride) and the other is to use washing soda (sodium carbonate). Also, is it better to use these in hot or cold water? Any advice would be welcome.

I’ll be interested in this thread.........not the easiest task!

I’ve just melted down all the crappy frames & bits etc from last year. Lined with muslin cloth prior to loading allowing all the rubbish to be lifted out (well scooped out & then lifted - too much weight to just lift). This leaves it reasonably clean other than a little propolis & wax. Haven’t yet looked to clean further yet.

Attachments

• 49D36FBF-CC3B-4A34-B794-50F0999D255D.jpeg
    49D36FBF-CC3B-4A34-B794-50F0999D255D.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 42
Might not be the most efficient but worked for me. Add water and heat to 80C gets all wax molten, drain.
Leaves a wax residue over the surfaces with some rubbish. Put on slant to valve end and washed off using kettles of boiling water. Shiny and new.
Just watch the valve doesn't get gummed up.
If anyone has more efficient way, please share.

Might not be the most efficient but worked for me. Add water and heat to 80C gets all wax molten, drain.
Leaves a wax residue over the surfaces with some rubbish. Put on slant to valve end and washed off using kettles of boiling water. Shiny and new.
Just watch the valve doesn't get gummed up.
If anyone has more efficient way, please share.

I do exactly the same but before the final clean, I use a plastic scraper to remove the majority of the wax residue. Then boiling water to clean. Its basically like new after that.

Latest posts

Back