Cleaning honey extractors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why do you need a separate hose?
Probably the same reason you keep the extractor spotlessly clean? you're talking food hygiene so not really good practice to just use any old bit of kit you find lying around in the garden

Following Peabee's statements which are spot on, may I add a couple of notes?
In the food industry there are two 'sterilized' states. One is sterile as in no organisms, the other is 'commercially sterile' which means that organisms may be present but cannot grow or multiply in that environment. Thus a tin of peaches is fine for years on the shelf, but once opened has a limited life. Honey in the jar is 'commercially sterile' (hence the concern over botulinum spores). In truth, once the jar is opened nothing will happen until the moisture level on the surface allows moulds to grow. Replacing the lid after use will be good enough.
Broken jars are real problem for food producers and extreme measures are necessary to ensure nothing gets from the damage to the product.
Anecdote: some years ago I audited a baby food factory and was concerned that the procedure for checking that all the caustic soda used for sterilizing had been completely removed. The company successfully rejected the advice on the basis that there had never been an incident in 20 years of operation. Only six months later they had to recall an enormous quantity of exported product. The plant shut down and the workers lost their jobs - all for the sake of cheap pH / conductivity meter (and a change in culture).
Add these together and I suggest that whatever cleaning is done before storage, the equipment is rinsed out with hot water before use; jars are washed - you will find it difficult to see a small curved piece of glass in the bottom of a jar - and placed upside down after cleaning ready for filling. You shouldn't need 'cleaners' with honey equipment, but for work surfaces bleach is good as it degrades to salt.

There could be pathogens or microbes lurking in a hose left outside and used for the garden ... small possibility of it being a problem but I have a short length of food grade clear hose I keep just for extractor cleaning... better to be safe ...

Following Peabee's statements which are spot on, may I add a couple of notes?
In the food industry there are two 'sterilized' states. One is sterile as in no organisms, the other is 'commercially sterile' which means that organisms may be present but cannot grow or multiply in that environment. Thus a tin of peaches is fine for years on the shelf, but once opened has a limited life. Honey in the jar is 'commercially sterile' (hence the concern over botulinum spores). In truth, once the jar is opened nothing will happen until the moisture level on the surface allows moulds to grow. Replacing the lid after use will be good enough.
Broken jars are real problem for food producers and extreme measures are necessary to ensure nothing gets from the damage to the product.
Anecdote: some years ago I audited a baby food factory and was concerned that the procedure for checking that all the caustic soda used for sterilizing had been completely removed. The company successfully rejected the advice on the basis that there had never been an incident in 20 years of operation. Only six months later they had to recall an enormous quantity of exported product. The plant shut down and the workers lost their jobs - all for the sake of cheap pH / conductivity meter (and a change in culture).
Add these together and I suggest that whatever cleaning is done before storage, the equipment is rinsed out with hot water before use; jars are washed - you will find it difficult to see a small curved piece of glass in the bottom of a jar - and placed upside down after cleaning ready for filling. You shouldn't need 'cleaners' with honey equipment, but for work surfaces bleach is good as it degrades to salt.

You can either clean or sanitise, cleaning is better. When sanitising you remove all the germs / organisms both good and bad that are living on any surface, be that kitchen units, hands, honey extractor, toilet seat etc etc. To live and multiply, like us they need air, food and moisture. Cleaning removes the "food" and most of the moisture. So the body fats from sweating hands, the food debris you can't even see, this needs to be removed by cleaning, then the organisms can't spread. Sanitise without removing their food chain and as soon as someone with even the tiniest dirt on hands touches that surface it will have a far higher density of germ / microbe population than if you had just cleaned the surface. Oh and if you have even the slightest breathing issue, such as asthma, then don't use any bleach or multi-surface cleaning products. 90% of all cleaning products sold in supermarkets cause lung function to deteriorate. use a good microfibre cloth and a organic cleaner.

I wonder how many people sterilize there new jars? :unsure:
Curley, you have a lot of jars. What do you do?
I do as some others have said. The jars come in a box, the lids in a separate bag. I swill them out to get rid of dust and dry them in an oven. I put the lids in a pan of boiling water. I did 400+ jars and lids this year. It took a long time, particularly as the lids needed drying. Maybe next year I should look for a supplier whose jars come ready lidded.

Curley, you have a lot of jars. What do you do?
I do as some others have said. The jars come in a box, the lids in a separate bag. I swill them out to get rid of dust and dry them in an oven. I put the lids in a pan of boiling water. I did 400+ jars and lids this year. It took a long time, particularly as the lids needed drying. Maybe next year I should look for a supplier whose jars come ready lidded.
Freeman and Harding... come with lids loosely fitted, shrink wrapped in trays and in the quantity that I buy (hundreds rather than thousands) packed in cardboard boxes as well.

Freeman and Harding... come with lids loosely fitted, shrink wrapped in trays and in the quantity that I buy (hundreds rather than thousands) packed in cardboard boxes as well.
As Philip has said freeman and hardings jars have lids loosely fitted which is where we perchased ours from.
We looked at prices else where and they were as good as any really, for the difference of a few pence we could of got them from the company that make them but then I would of had to clean them, time to do so with x amount of jars wasn't worth it.

I suspect there is no difference between a company packing 'factory clean' jars into cardboard boxes and supplying the factory clean lids in a separate bag or a company that has someone fitting factory clean lids from a box onto factory clean jars then shrinkwrapping them onto cardboard trays

I suspect there is no difference between a company packing 'factory clean' jars into cardboard boxes and supplying the factory clean lids in a separate bag or a company that has someone fitting factory clean lids from a box onto factory clean jars then shrinkwrapping them onto cardboard trays
what do you do to prepare your jars for the harvest?

what do you do to prepare your jars for the harvest?
I wash them, hot wash, in the dishwasher, and use them once cooled, assume that's fine, given food is prepared and served on plates cleaned in a dishwasher.
Simon

The FH hex jars I bought didn't come with lids fitted. They came in a plastic bag + carboard box.

I wash them, hot wash, in the dishwasher, and use them once cooled, assume that's fine, given food is prepared and served on plates cleaned in a dishwasher.
Simon
But how many can your dishwasher hold and how long is its cycle? It surely wouldn't be feasible to do several hundred jars that way.
And how do you treat the lids?

But how many can your dishwasher hold and how long is its cycle? It surely wouldn't be feasible to do several hundred jars that way.
And how do you treat the lids?
I think we can get about 80 - 100, plus lids (edit) possibly nearer 60 - 80. Usual size of our bottling run, just need to plan ahead. We have a 60 minute hot wash.
Simon

Gold with honeycomb pattern.

View attachment 29472
That's why then ... the standard packaging covers standard lids ... the honeycomb ones are non-standard ...

The beekeepers pack which is lids on and shrink wrapped " The pack is available with either gold lacquered tinplate caps or white plastic wadless polypropylene caps."

That must be it. Still, the packs of jars are well sealed and I don't have to take the lids off. ;)

Latest posts

Back