cleaning gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thurrock bees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi all, ive brought some leather beek gloves and like a idiot:svengo:, i didnt wear anything to keep them clean,
so anyone knows how to clean the gloves please?

:grouphug:

TB

i have used marigolds in the past, but until i sort out my bees temperment, i wont wear them as it hurt too much lol

Wow you must have some aggressive bees there.

Mine can get lively at times but I've never had a problem with marigolds. I don't like the sweat factor though.

hi all, ive brought some leather beek gloves and like a idiot:svengo:, i didnt wear anything to keep them clean,
so anyone knows how to clean the gloves please?

:grouphug:

TB

i assume its wax on the leather or is it something else?

How where you going to cover them?

my father would not wear them because he said they had a " bee memory" , the bees thought they were attackers as the bee sting was retained in the leather

i have used marigolds in the past, but until i sort out my bees temperment, i wont wear them as it hurt too much lol

i used leather for 6 months and regret bothering, now using the nitrile type and sometimes double them up - bees sting me no more with these than they did with leather, also leather softens up and they find it east to sting through that in the end

Wow you must have some aggressive bees there.

they were aggressive, i have got rid of the nasty bees, now i want to requeen two hives to sort there temper out, i could not assess the temper when they are being attacked be wasps

Keep them for your bee museum:).
The latest advice from the bee inspectorate is to use disposable gloves (nitrile to prevent latex allergy).
Disease from common pathogens in a bee colony take off more easily in a varroa weakened one ,therefore apiary hygiene is paramount !

John Wilkinson

Been thinking about getting some disposable gloves for some time now and so looked on fleabay. Amongst those that came up were some be advertised as as beekeepers nitrile disposable gloves as they were sting resistant. OK I may be having a senior moment :confused: but for gloves (of any sort to be sting resistant) they'd have to be reasonably thick etc and so to my mind this would defeat the purpose of having these sort of glove. Somehow I don't believe they are as sting resistant as the seller would have buyers believe

bee-smillie

Last edited:
I have viewed the fleabay website for this item. They may not be as sting resistant as you think. Check the wording!!

I have viewed the fleabay website for this item. They may not be as sting resistant as you think. Check the wording!!

That was my point. But I wonder how many people would think they were thin but still sting resistant.

bee-smillie

I see that since my original post the description has now been changed and the words 'sting resistant' are no longer there

Last edited:
There are different qualities of Marigolds.

For inspection of my "good" hive I use the nitrile ones which inevitably get covered in propolis and I dispose of them each time (as taught by the Bee Inspector - part of IPM).

For the "naughty" hive I use the blue/yellow Marigolds (which are "thicker" and more expensive) which I then scrub in a mixture of water/washing soda/detergent. I can usually only feel about half of the stings through these and they don't penetrate far.

2 pairs of nitrile are also an option.

There are different qualities of Marigolds.

Theres N'awt wrong with Tescos Value

5050179729139_200.jpg

50p for 2 pairs. I wash them every time, and in a season I get through about 5 pairs

Sting resistant, sting proof.

Water resistant, water proof (to a given depth of immersion) Which watch would you go swimming in?

Marketing stretches the meaning of the description as far as it will go. A bit like many meaning more than one. I don't get conned by bogus advertising (very often)

Regards, RAB

Just to go back to the original question, I once just kept my gloves on and washed my hands in the sink. It did work but I looked like I had a 60 a day habit every time I put my (yellow) gloves back on! I now use latex from the local engineering suppies shop.

Latest posts

Back