cleaning frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi everyone,this is my first post
I've just removed all the old wax from my brood frames and was wondering whats the best way to remove the wax thats left on the frames.
:confused:

Hi Welcome to the forum.

I have just been doing a bit of frame cleaning like you. Wax went in my bucket for melting down for exchange...frames went in the fire!

To much messing about and fiddley work (IMHO), just get seconds frames.

Jim

Hi Welcome to the forum.

I have just been doing a bit of frame cleaning like you. Wax went in my bucket for melting down for exchange...frames went in the fire!

To much messing about and fiddley work (IMHO), just get seconds frames.

Jim

Being retired I have time on my hands . A Beddows' frame cleaning tool A mug of tea ,a Sun lit corner, ahhh! bliss:cheers2:.
John

Burco boiler with some soda or bleach,takes all of five minutes,no messing or fiddling about.and you may help save a tree.

But I would have burned some type of wood kindling to get my fire going, so same thing.

+ think of all the energy needed to boil the water to clean the frames.

Just my thought. :cheers2:

Unless you have all your kindling made into frames first,then its not at all the same thing. I just call burning a good frame for the sake of five minutes work just plain lazy,and wasteful. just my thoughts.

I think you are going to be outnumbered on this one Jim,we should all be doing our bit to recycle even if it does cost more energy to.

ok thanks for replys,I don;t want to cause any arguments.

Hi Capri welcome to the forum.

Arguments? this is normal amoung beekeepers, ask a question and you will get at least 3 diferent answers.

And two out of those three will be right.

Frames are quite expencive and worth to reuse.
There are ways
-clean with propane flame
- boil in 3% lye

you may gather them more for bigger handling or boil them together with other beekeepers.

ive just cleaned a load of 20 yr old frames.....(unused for 15 of those years). propane was the ticket for me and a gentle rub with 180 grit sandpaper afterwards. they look beautiful now:)

I put them in the hot oven on a metal tray and then scrub them with a stiff brush in very hot water and washing soda..... Easier with a boiler I reckon

Same old thing,

Some frames are worth saving and some are not.

I have burnt hundreds in my time, just not worth the effort of saving with a need for spacers and paper thin side bars.

On the other hand a hot air blower is a great tool for cleaning up the ones that are worth the time.

PH

Glad it was not just me that burnt frames. Befor you start jumping up and down and liking me to some sort of book burner.

The frames I burt where mostly knackered non self spacing frames, from a very old set I got given, but I use all self spacing, so I have been phasing them out.

But why clean frames up after you have removed the old wax, using all those checmials and electricity?

Just bang in a new sheet of foundation, the bees will sort it all out.:cheers2:

Hi all

Don't worry jim you are not alone. Seconds frames are about 50p each and I change 90% of brood combs/wax/frames each year, very few get saved. Also using broods as supers to increase drawn comb.

Regards Ian

I clean them up with a hive tool then go over them with a blowtorch. It's a tedious job -I find a glass of cider near to my right elbow helps

HI
Don't worry about causing arguments, it happens all the time. Our local association has a Burco boiler for us to borrow and use for frame cleaning. As someone said just put the frames in boiling water with washing soda for a few minutes. I have not as yet done this myself but was shown some newly cleaned ones by a colleague and was very impressed.

Latest posts

Back