Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

thurrock bees 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi all
After 2 1/2 years of keeping bees the smoker needs a well over due cleaning :puke: to rid the carbon. Ive done a search and have not found any thins on here.
So for me and other beeks, new and old, how do YOU clean your smoker??????

:party:

wightbees 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Mine is newish , first yr and it sticks together. I was wondering what you clean it with.
could you burn it with a blow lamp, or would this not do much ?

tonybloke 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
remobe the bellows, scrape off as much crap from inside as possible, then burn it inside with a blow-lamp, finallygive it another scrape inside. should remove most of the gunk.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
It will soon build up again depending on you fuel.

I just give an occasional scrape with a hive tool and/or screwdriver and carry on.

'Burned out' my first (too small) smoker and found the hinge was held on with aluminium pop rivets! I have yet to replace them with stainless steel as I rarely ever use it.

No rocket science on this one.

Regards, RAB

gavin 

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
about 70 and rising
From time to time, instead of plugging it with grass or moss at the end of a session, I pump it vigorously with the top open until it is burning well. Then the top goes back on and I keep it hot by burning the remaining fuel at a high temperature. The deposits become dry and will fall out.

Apis 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
A bit of high temperature is the key as it displaces the compounds that hold the crap together but then why bother, we’re talking patina.

johnandyrob 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
soak it in soda crystals with the bellows off obviously

Ivor Kemp 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
A bit late on this one but I discovered an old container of Sugar Soap in my shed (sodium carbonate, sodium phosphate).

I mixed a fairly strong solution with hot water and tried it on the smoker.

Couldn't believe the success!

The black layers simply peeled off or formed a thick gravy which just poured away leaving the original metal.

Smells awful though so I advise not doing it in your front room!!

RoofTops 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
You don't have to remove the bellows to soak a smoker in washing soda. Simply fill a washing bowl with hot water and lots of washing soda - think whole bag -and then lay the smoker in the bowl with the bellows uppermost. Make certain it can't fall over (a brick on its side works) and leave overnight.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
That is a quick expansion!

Maybe, but depends on how it comes about and the expertise/good luck of the beekeeper. Cost of 'housing' is the main drawback to many, or perhaps available space for multiple colonies.

Anyone seriously collecting swarms, or making several early splits from strong colonies can fairly easily increase from, say, two at start-up to a good number (15?) after a couple of seasons. Just have to think time, money and return.

If immediate return on investment is not so important and multiple splits are the way one chooses to increase, you just accept no geat harvests in the expanding years, and the dividends will flow soon afterwards.

All in all it is not difficult to expand; some newish beeks have far more colonies than they expected, already. Sometimes it is harder to keep the number down!

Regards, RAB

psafloyd 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
remobe the bellows, sc'canola' (osr) off as much crap from inside as possible, then burn it inside with a blow-lamp, finallygive it another sc'canola' (osr) inside. should remove most of the gunk.
Sorry, what the hell is "sc'canola'", please?

Queens59 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Admin put a thing in the system, so that if someone writes rape instead of OSR for oil seed rape it automatically changes it...everywhere...I think it should say scrape? Except of course the glitch will change this too...

Queens59 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
It isn't a typo...just admin's replacement for the r word getting carried away...

Monsieur Abeille 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
None of my own
Lucky we're not a wine forum discussing g'canola' (osr) varieties :p

pbh4 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I've been wondering that for ages but far too polite to try it out. People in that particular Northern town were very upset in the early days of the internet that they kept getting censored but it did not take long for more sophisticated algorithms to be developed. I have not seen this silliness for, what, 15 years? Admin, you need to learn "regular expressions" (regex).

Is it really necessary to censor a perfectly good English name for a crop? We still call the fruit of the hive "honey" even though the same word can be used in a demeaning, sexist way. Context defines the meaning.

Paul

Latest posts