Cleaning a Konigin extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there is a need to power wash, just lots of cold water will dissolve the honey and rinse away the wax/other bits.
Thrones state you can use a power wash ( I haven’t felt the need to ) but warn against getting water above the top of the convex floor . Yet say the bottom bearing in the electric models is sealed .

I have the 12 frame one ! It is a nightmare!
I have also learned the hard way !
The reason for the large amount of wasted honey is down to bad design of the drum!
the convex base is fitted to the interior of the drum cylinder,
Welded on the outside ! However at 4 locations other components are welded onto the base , these welds penetrate to the inside creating 4 dams .
Tilting the extractor doesn’t drain to the honey valve , leaving the very deep V at the base full of honey !
Over Winter I am looking at an easy way to remove the cage without compromising the 4 year guarantee!
The trouble is they have fastened the central lid holder to the legs so you have to undo the legs to take the central bar out to remove the top completely and that central bar holds the cage! I would question the hygiene rating of the whole thing if it can't be cleaned without ripping your hands to bits. I so wish this had come up in my research. I will be writing to thornes from whom I purchased it! Who designed the on off switch needs shooting too! What a faff to change from one setting to another!

I have a 20 frame Konigin, to clean it this year, I didn't power wash, instead I I filled the convex floor with water and used a dish washer brush to remove the honey and wax, working downwards. It is a slow process, but once I got down to the bottom V shaped groove, I paid particular attention and scrubbed the groove. Using the brush it kept my hand away from the sharp edges. Down at the bottom, I use honey buckets of water to rinse the dregs out of the honey tap until the water goes from straw coloured to clear and then use kitchen toweling to dry the V groove the bottom as well as spinning the drum to remove more water. Similar problem with the Giordan. @victor meldrew, for the parts of the extractor and @enrico who has pointed out, the crossbar is held together with 3 bolts with one to a leg. There is a bearing at the top, the cage can then come out, leaving a round metal plate underneath. I haven't looked any further than that, but the cage is just as sharp as the Giordan.

It is only fair that I report the conclusion on this thread for those that are monitoring it including Thornes! 😀
I contacted them, as the suppliers, this morning and said that I was not happy to use this machine for extracting honey to sell to others as I was unhappy with the knowledge that I had cleaned it sufficiently after use. The way the machine is made in my opinion made it impossible to clean to my standards.
Apparently I am the first person to want to return the machine for that reason and basically you get what you pay for and this is the lower end of the market.
Thornes in their usual professional manner however agreed to me returning the extractor and I agreed to pay the extra to purchase their own model of which I already have experience.
I was disappointed with the konigin and would not buy another but I am happy with the outcome and the manner in which it has been dealt with. There are benefits of buying from a reputable company.
Enough said.

I am happy with the outcome and the manner in which it has been dealt with. There are benefits of buying from a reputable company.
Enough said.
Thank you enrico. I hope Gill sees this. Equipment suppliers are regularly bashed and it’s really good to see them get a pat on the back for a change

I've used my 40 frame Konigin a couple of times now; simple to clean and no sharp edges, works great and can't fault it for the money it cost. Maybe being the 40 frame it's easier to clean as far more room.

Latest posts

Back