Cleaned supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My supers are back with the bees to clean out after extracting . What is the best way to store them, when i take them back of hive. Do not want wax moth getting in? What has worked for you in storing cleaned out supers? Sharon bee-smillie

I put mine in the freezer for a day or so then seal them up tight in black bin bags. You have to be careful while they are frozen because they are very brittle.

Mine are stored for the winter in a shed. Cover board on the bottom, stack of six, cover board on the top. Sometimes, when I'm feeling racy, I layer newspaper in between each super.

I don't like the idea of a plastic bags as I like them to breathe a little to discourage mould.

Cazza

Thanks so much, I wondered about bags, but wouldn't fancy them getting mould either .

I store mine wet in new bin bags. Never had a problem with wax moth or mould.

No mould on my supers and I've always stored wet sealed in double bags. Too much faff taking them off, putting them back, taking them off.

Not trying to hi jack I have some frames that are still just foundation what is the best way to store these

Mine are stored for the winter in a shed. Cover board on the bottom, stack of six, cover board on the top.
I don't like the idea of a plastic bags as I like them to breathe a little to discourage mould.

I do likewise but in my garage - 5 ply boards top and bottom of stack(s), no plastic bags anywhere. NEVER EVER had waxmoth. Wax moth is not as much a problem as is made out by all and sundry. All it needs is care in how you store frames so the moths can't get near enough to lay eggs. Wet frames are least likely to be attacked anyway.

Last edited:
Not trying to hi jack I have some frames that are still just foundation what is the best way to store these

Stick them in an empty super, just the same as for drawn frames. Store in a cool place. They will come to no harm. Next Spring, run a hair dryer over them to perk them up.
Cazza

I store my supers wet and outside ply on the bottom and spare roof on the top but I do have to treat with sulphur strips as I always get a bit of waxmoth in the supers.

Is it possible to store them them in plastic storage containers that can be got in Homebase etc?

Is it possible to store them them in plastic storage containers that can be got in Homebase etc?

yes, but i prefer to store in stacks away from my hives until several frosts and then in my garage as i have had woodpecker attacks on empty super stacks

I have used certan spray before but a bit unsure if certan effects the honey bee brood ( just a niggling thought)

Latest posts

Back