Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea theres very little info about treatments .Off the top of my head i doubt it

It won't, the virus passes from bee to bee

It must continue to exist in the environment to some degree or it woukd have probably died out with the first colony it infected. The only transmission route would be from robbing failing colonies.
It was suggested to me that it can persist in faeces for up to a year. In the one bad case I had the frames had plenty of faecal stains from bees to sick to leave the hive to defecate. Personally I'd just burn the frames rather than have a source of infection hanging around.

Last edited:
Generally freezing won't kill any viruses ... they're inert, with no metabolic activity to stop.

Saw a really bad case last week.

I believe it may be inherited via the Queen?

Saw a really bad case last week.

I believe it may be inherited via the Queen?

I doubt it as its an adult bee disease passed on by contact or proximity to the virus.
If it was inherited then at least whole sub families would be affected, but some cases are milder than that( some worse) some say that it's down to an inherited susceptibility but ive not heard of any study that shows immunity in any bees.

I doubt it as its an adult bee disease passed on by contact or proximity to the virus.
If it was inherited then at least whole sub families would be affected, but some cases are milder than that( some worse) some say that it's down to an inherited susceptibility but ive not heard of any study that shows immunity in any bees.
Its in most samples of bees like dwv just isn't at a lethal level

Latest posts

Back