Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What evidence is there that some queens are immune?

Not everyone has Ebola, but all are susceptible. Disease reflects a combination of susceptibility and exposure.

It is whether the workers of a particular queen show any symptoms or not that really matters. The genome of affected workers seems to adetermine which syndrome they actually manisfest as the same virus is involved in both syndrome 1 and 2. In any population there are always individuals within a spectrum of resistance to most diseases (one of the great advantages of genetic diversity and why mongrels are often healthier than pure lines).

Ok. Why I debate about this. All your hives are sick and none of mine are not.

I think that you out in England must do something to your bees. It is not my business. You shake your bees and destroy the combs and brood. Just do it!

Last edited:
It is whether the workers of a particular queen show any symptoms or not that really matters. The genome of affected workers seems to adetermine which syndrome they actually manisfest as the same virus is involved in both syndrome 1 and 2. In any population there are always individuals within a spectrum of resistance to most diseases (one of the great advantages of genetic diversity and why mongrels are often healthier than pure lines).

In the current generation, you are right...but...fatshark has a point when it comes to breeding. When you are selecting for disease resistance, it isn't enough to say the colony is asymptomatic.

Latest posts

Back