Christmas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toasty toes by the fire😊
Aggravating at the time but become memories to cherish.

Lovely times, that dog basket kicks out some heat.
They even unwrapped some presents before 6am..
IMG_20181224_234209.jpg
Father Christmas was knackered after delivering all those presents.

Christmas in this part of the antipodes is unsettled weather, ripe cherries and beach parties with a good drawstring around your hat....oh, and the Christmas Bush flowering now through past Christmas. Gorgeous little star shaped flowers and the bees hanging on in the wind on the lee side.
View attachment VID_20201204_101647891.mp4

Christmas in this part of the antipodes is unsettled weather, ripe cherries and beach parties with a good drawstring around your hat....oh, and the Christmas Bush flowering now through past Christmas. Gorgeous little star shaped flowers and the bees hanging on in the wind on the lee side.
View attachment 23304
Cheers me up - miserable wet weather here in Blighty. Presumably your Christmas Bush is different from the one of the same name I remember in Bay of Islands, NZ which has dense red blossoms

Nothing quite so cheering as the promise of a peek at the Christmas bush

Last edited:
On Radio Cornwall and item on re wilding... letting a lady beaver back up on Bodmin Moor!

Cheers me up - miserable wet weather here in Blighty. Presumably your Christmas Bush is different from the one of the same name I remember in Bay of Islands, NZ which has dense red blossoms

Yes, theirs is a beautiful tree with the dense red flower, often planted this side of the Tasman as a garden ornamental, so that will flower soon too. Theirs is a great honeybee tree too and they produce a unique honey from it. We don't have enough of the NZ one to produce a distinct honey.

On Radio Cornwall and item on re wilding... letting a lady beaver back up on Bodmin Moor!
I have heard " a bit Bodmin" (re the iq of someone) referred to a couple of times on Doc Martin, can someone enlighten me about the origin of the saying.

Your picture? you artist you!
Yes.....I trained at art college for a while as an illustrator. I'm still a wannabee artist at heart, but am far too lazy, according to my partner. Designing a beekeeping themed Christmas card has become a long running tradition. Here are three more. I use white scraper-board, draw with liner pens and colour with liquitex ink.fox.jpgoldcard.jpglastyear (1).jpg

Yes.....I trained at art college for a while as an illustrator. I'm still a wannabee artist at heart, but am far too lazy, according to my partner. Designing a beekeeping themed Christmas card has become a long running tradition. Here are three more. I use white scraper-board, draw with liner pens and colour with liquitex ink.View attachment 23378View attachment 23379View attachment 23380
Im not really any good at art on paper but give me a garden to transform and its a different mater.
I try and paint with plants some times when I'm designing planting plans.

Really impressed your perspective on size in the distance is brilliant. (y)

I have heard " a bit Bodmin" (re the iq of someone) referred to a couple of times on Doc Martin, can someone enlighten me about the origin of the saying.

Going a bit OT for the thread but this ancient (in computing terms) website / blog mudcat.org: Folklore: 'Going a bit Bodmin'

says this in one of the posts: "It's a Cornish slang expression meaning "crazy, loopy, daft" etc., probably dating back a very long way, referring to the "County Lunatic Asylum" that was opened in Bodmin in 1820".

Then there's other examples further on if you want to read it all.

In general it's a term for someone who's a bit slow. Chose a town or village you don't live in but is nearby and refer to them in the same way we used to (in pre PC days) refer to Irishmen.

Going a bit OT for the thread but this ancient (in computing terms) website / blog mudcat.org: Folklore: 'Going a bit Bodmin'

says this in one of the posts: "It's a Cornish slang expression meaning "crazy, loopy, daft" etc., probably dating back a very long way, referring to the "County Lunatic Asylum" that was opened in Bodmin in 1820".

Then there's other examples further on if you want to read it all.

In general it's a term for someone who's a bit slow. Chose a town or village you don't live in but is nearby and refer to them in the same way we used to (in pre PC days) refer to Irishmen.
Thanks for that interesting information, I hope the Doc comes back, I never tire of the re runs.

Latest posts

Back