Christmas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention.”

“One day you will ask me which is more important? My life or yours? I will say mine and you will walk away not knowing that you are my life.”
--Khalil Gibran
I've read a great deal, and never even heard of Khalil Gibran. He will certainly go to the top of my books to read list. Thanks Murox.

Is there a particular book that the quotes written by Khalil Gibran come from? I would like to find out more. Thanks.
Just google his name
Gibran was a painter as well as a writer by training and schooled in Paris. He mixed with the intellectuals of his time, including figures such as WB Yeats, Carl Jung and August Rodin, all of whom he met and painted. “The Prophet” is probably his best known book. It is 'poetry' in the form of sermons by a sage called Al Mustapha on the questions of life, love, family, work and death.

We forgot to oil our daughter’s bedroom door. It creaked long and loudly as Father Christmas sorted her Christmas stocking! Doh!
I know the feeling as my seven year old daughter leaned out of bed and said, "It's OK , mum, I know he's not real"

I know the feeling as my seven year old daughter leaned out of bed and said, "It's OK , mum, I know he's not real"

There cleverer than us I'm still a believe!
We forgot to oil our daughter’s bedroom door. It creaked long and loudly as Father Christmas sorted her Christmas stocking! Doh!
You might want to get that sorted for next year.. Either that!? or get father Christmas  ;)to come down the chimney like he should do... If he touches his nose he will be fine. :laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-014

I remember my grandmother's sister telling us a story every Christmas eve as children of a Christmas during the great depression (Auntie Eirwen was born on Christmas day, a white one hence her name) where families around here had even less of the very little they usually had. Two of her friends had decided they were going to stay awake all night to catch a glimpse of Siôn Corn (Santa), They managed it, but never a sign of Santa, and no presents when they got downstairs - because that's what comes of trying to catch Siôn Corn. Basically it was a great relief to their parents as up until then they hadn't been able to break the news to them that there was barely enough money for food, let alone the orange and a handful of nuts that most of the other kids got.

What a magnificent bird, I regularly loose chickens to the Goshawks around here but accept that price to have such a bird as this. I have never held one but would love to.

What a magnificent bird, I regularly loose chickens to the Goshawks around here but accept that price to have such a bird as this. I have never held one but would love to.
I found the partially eaten carcasses of two ducks a field away and assumed that a spate of duck/chicken deaths was due to buzzards, but was told buzzards take smaller prey, or carrion. I don't think we have goshawks around here.

I found the partially eaten carcasses of two ducks a field away and assumed that a spate of duck/chicken deaths was due to buzzards, but was told buzzards take smaller prey, or carrion. I don't think we have goshawks around here.
I lost half a dozen in just over two weeks - it was a stoat. Removing the carcasses encouraged it to kill afresh, otherwise it was coming back to them everyday and eating a little more. It is usually easy to spot a stoat attack as it goes for the back of the neck first.

I lost half a dozen in just over two weeks - it was a stoat. Removing the carcasses encouraged it to kill afresh, otherwise it was coming back to them everyday and eating a little more. It is usually easy to spot a stoat attack as it goes for the back of the neck first.
Now I am wondering if you are right about a stoat; one of my ducks was killed on the pond (very shallow) but damage was only done to the back of its neck, the carcass was not taken away.

We have another predator hear in the Pine martin and they will take the prey for later, however to date I have no evidence of a Martin kill however the French tell me they take more than the fox, Goshawk or stoat. Makes it feel like I am providing a snack bar for the local wildlife!!

Now I am wondering if you are right about a stoat; one of my ducks was killed on the pond (very shallow) but damage was only done to the back of its neck, the carcass was not taken away.
I am afraid it sounds like a stoat. They kill by locking themselves around the neck of the bird and repeatedly biting the back of the neck. They have been known to decapitate a bird.

I discovered it was a stoat when one of my girls ran into the road with one attached to her and a car stopped to help her. The poor thing ran straight to the couple to be picked up. She survived (and spent the next fortnight as an agoraphobic refusing to come out of the porch) but it came back during the night, got through a small gap around the door of one of the houses and killed the two birds that had gone into that particular house overnight.

Unfortunately, if it is a stoat, it now knows where a food source is and will come back until you catch it or it has killed all your birds.

The other option if was killed on the pond is a mink, they kill in the same way and are vile, but they are normally near rivers rather than ponds.

We have another predator hear in the Pine martin and they will take the prey for later, however to date I have no evidence of a Martin kill however the French tell me they take more than the fox, Goshawk or stoat. Makes it feel like I am providing a snack bar for the local wildlife!!
In another mountain place where I lived the "paysans" blamed everything on the fouine (pine marten) even the landing board of one of my hives being eaten away. It's a tradition that goes back for generations whether they have seen the damage or not It was always the fouine. Where I am now, it's become the wolf. Pays better when they claim damages:sneaky:

Latest posts

Back