Choice of fresh water or pig slurry?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudley

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 apiary's 1 with 3 hives 2nd with 5 hives
When I walk around my farm feeding our pigs I notice my girls lining up along the gully that takes pig slurry straight from the pig yard to the drain and see them drinking from there.

Maybe this is why my home cooked honey roast ham is so good?

Steve.

Ps. Dont tell my local bee inspector or honey customers.
Pps. I do have ornamental and natural ponds around the farm too, so it's their choice to be drinking pig slurry.

on a farm i kept bees on a few years back, the girls preferred the run off from the cattle shed to the bucket of rainwater in the apiary set up with sticks for them

and i have seen bumbles busy on a bag of sand in my garden that my dogs cock their legs up regularly......

maybe it's something to do with the urea salts.....?

Which takes us neatly back to that YouTube video on Indian research spraying cow urine onto their frames.

The salt theory makes sense. My cattle and goats etc all have mineral and salt licks.

Which takes us neatly back to that YouTube video on Indian research spraying cow urine onto their frames.

Do the more experienced beeks amongst us advocate micturating on our hives now? If so are there any special precautions that we should take.

Ian
(Removes tongue from cheek)

Do the more experienced beeks amongst us advocate micturating on our hives now? If so are there any special precautions that we should take.

Ian
(Removes tongue from cheek)

well i suppose the additional swelling could come in handy...... :mixed-smiley-005:

Make sure you are wearing the appropriate PPE if doing it. lol

well i suppose the additional swelling could come in handy...... :mixed-smiley-005:

Reminds me of a very long-running saga on a smallholding forum where one of the mods (not me..I was/am another) decided to mark the bounds as a means of keeping the foxes off his chooks.

And the nettles were taller than he remembered them.

Latest posts

Back