Chilean Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Did anyone tune in to Radio 2 drivetime yesterday? In the business slot they had a doctor (they didn't say what he was a doctor of) who was clearly marketing Chilean honey. The pitch was that after much research and working with Chilean beekeepers, they have discovered that Chilean honey is an effective anti bacterial and antiseptic. From the end of this year it is going to be marketed in the UK as a food and as a cure for sore throats and aid to wound healing. Now I don't know about you but I've known for years that any (particularly monoflaural) honey has those same properties. I emailed the programme but got no response. So we can expect a flood of South American honey marketed as medicine/food (and carrying all kinds of bee diseases) any time soon. Makes me livid. I think its about time we had a British Honey Marketing Board.:cuss::cuss::cuss:

Even when I was at college we were lectured on natural bactericides - honey being one of them. A combination of naturally occuring anti-bacterial phtochemicals natural low water activity and slight acidity, along with low level peroxide generation is I think the 'magic' combo. Going into boring mode briefly, cabbage water has similar properties (but the actives are not fully understood)!

The Royal United Hospital in Bath has been using irradiated honey as part of its burns/ulcer treatment program for some time, my parents sent me a newspaper cutting on it.

Do I believe Chillian Honey is any better at this than other but you cant blame them for some good marketing.

Happened to catch the report on the Chilean Honey - the medical researchers are Irish based - haven't googled to see if i can track down any more info...

Makes me livid. I think its about time we had a British Honey Marketing Board.

Some seem to be at least trying...athough not a marketing board.
Don't know why anyone would bother though, considering the negative replys they get.
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6573

Unfortunately HM we the British have one bad characteristic and that is the population as a whole consider all British products to be inferior to all other similar products from around the world we talk ourselves down even when we are world leaders.

We all know that British honey is the best in the world but the general public having been told that the imported is better will buy into it.

British Honey Marketing Board.

How would that help? Most of the marketing boards had set prices and a near monopoly of the market.

Apart from tne antibacterial hype of any particular type of honey, the one reason we import honey is, presumably, a dearth of home produced. Where these imports come from is likely neither her nor there re - as a disease vector.

I doubt if there is any UK beek who could not sell his/her produce at the retail prices of some of these imported blends one can find on the supermarket shelves.

Well, it must be honey, but the quality is far below all the jarred UK honey, I would think.

Remember I said retail prices. The bulk costs will be considerably lower, hence the likes of Rowse and others that are nett importers.

Only when the high quality end of the market is saturated, will the UK product be used at the lower end, I presume.

Regards, RAB

Unfortunately HM we the British have one bad characteristic and that is the population as a whole consider all British products to be inferior to all other similar products from around the world we talk ourselves down even when we are world leaders.

We all know that British honey is the best in the world but the general public having been told that the imported is better will buy into it.

I agree Tom,from the workshop of the world to a country that produces next to nothing...lets support every other country but our own...import everything,produce nothing...and go bankrupt because we have no manufacturing industry left,so have nothing left to sell.

We've still got some forests to sell. But what next after they have been 'hived' off?

Regards, RAB

We've still got some forests to sell. But what next after they have been 'hived' off?

Regards, RAB
Look after the roots and everything will be good in the garden..... continuous new growth..lol

......so have nothing left to sell.

We can always roll out the BBKA "sponsor a hive" scheme worldwide.

As it happens I've done a few shipments of my own honey to the USA this year (I like to buck the trend). Indirect result of a certain celebrity chef bigging up British produce while he was over there. They should give him another MBE.

We can always roll out the BBKA "sponsor a hive" scheme worldwide.

As it happens I've done a few shipments of my own honey to the USA this year (I like to buck the trend). Indirect result of a certain celebrity chef bigging up British produce while he was over there. They should give him another MBE.
Chris,well done on the exports,perhaps you could target Chile next.....not by any chance thinking of going in for ship building as well are you...lol

Last edited:
When all the forests are bought up by overseas corporations and in ten years time, or less when they are felled to make chip board and the land turned to other use, we won't even have the oxygen generated by the trees to console ourselves with.

Should we all be forming forest buying co-operatives, or what?

I think that I'm probably behind the what option.

I seem to remember that honey and cinnamon is supposed to work wonders for everything.

Back