Children

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a 5 and 7 year old. The key issue is that their attention span is low, and after a while they revert to type (boys) and start baiting each other rather than worrying about the bees. Both have suits and will inspect 1 hive with us, no more. If they are silly, they get sent away, if the bees are grumpy, they get sent back 10 feet or so.

Both are fascinated, especially the youngest who will sit for hours watching a beetle or earwig. The youngest has an extraordinarily high pain threshold (or is just thick, not sure which). He has taken wasp killing to heart, and just stabs them with his finger, nailing them instantly. Occasionally he gets stung, but he is back at it in a few minutes.

My youngest is just getting into my girls, sneaking out for a cheeky peek through the fence - I think he is calm enough so may let him look tomorrow for his birthday...he'll be 23...

My youngest is just getting into my girls

Do the girls know about this:confused:

Anyway back to the question, I bought a childs bee suit from modern beeping, top piece if kit and I have been taking my little boy to do the bees with me since before he could walk, I used to put him on a carrier on my back, like a rucksack with leg holes and he loved it, now he is two years two months, has his own kit, mini smoker (which I don't light but he hasn't noticed) a hive tool which is identical to mine but I made it out of plastic and his little bee brush.

When I open up a hive he always asks to be picked up to look inside and the expression on his little face is really something and I swear I feel his heart beating faster, but then again you guys know what i'm talking about, after years I'm still amazed what goes on in there, luckily when I tell him to stand in a spot he does and for the first time that day I see him calm.

He's been stung once on the arm but after 10 minutes he was back to normal, the swelling did look bad a couple of days later though, as for education, I do my best to teach him to respect all living things as they all have their purpose, he knows where honey comes from, he can name all the hive parts and he want to hold the frames with honey on, and when extracting he has the bad habbit of sticking his fingers in the comb for a taste, who can blame him.

The point I am trying to make is that if you are careful, a child can help at any age, a little limiting and you have to patent but highly enjoyable.

Enzo.

Last edited:
My 15 year old daughter has been a keen assistant since we started. Mind you if theres a shopping opportunity or better offer from her mates I do it solo!

As I always say, It's never too young to start beekeeping, This is my little boy, he's two years and two months old and has been helping me with the bees for over a year now, gets so excited when I tell him were doing the bees.:hurray:

Enzo

Great pics whats the suit like and where did you get it

The suit is from Modern Beekeeping and it's a quality piece of kit, well worth the money.

Enzo.

Thanks for that Enzo though it was the ones from modern beekeeping they are the ones iv been looking at they look good on the wed site just nice to have a bit of feed back from people who have already used kit that your thinking of buying

My 3 boys used to argue over who would have the spare bee suit. Now they don't bother at all. Shame really, the 11 year old is very good at spotting queens.

Shame you don't live a bit closer you could have sent him round to give me a lesson in queen spotting.

How old should children be before you let them any where near bees?

My oldest boy is 7. Eight in October. He is a great help when needed and listens and works well. He first helped me at 5 and was pretty good. Calm and held frames of bees still. My youngest boy now 4 in July first came up to the bees in may so he was still three. He watched me work through three colonies before losing interest and removing his gloves and walking off. Very funny at the time as I frantically got his gloves back on and took him back to mummy. He has held frames of bees and does not jump about or do stupid things. Both boys wore full suits with gloves so I knew they had protection. The bees were well behaved which helped greatly. Everyone is different though. If my youngest was not ready I would not have pushed him. He asked to come down to the bees with me. If they want to come down I let them most times depending what I need to do. The oldest is a great help now though and I have been teaching him what is needed in a weekly inspection and he can point the important thing out. I gave the boys a colony each so it is a competition whose Queen is performing better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back