Children killed by Hornets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scary indeed. I wonder what provoked the attack, normally they don't bother people unless their nest is threatened or they are physically attacked.

Mike

not sure what type of Hornet that is....

...But in the last few weeks there have been several cases of Hornets going on the rampage, a swarm during the Austrian Marathon and a pensioner dying in Austria a seperate case.

there have been a several hospital cases in middle Europe due to hornet stings...

I visited my beehives on Sunday afternoon and there were two Asians (hornets) sat on top of the beehive.. I gave them big headaches! :boxing_smiley:

not sure what type of Hornet that is....

...But in the last few weeks there have been several cases of Hornets going on the rampage, a swarm during the Austrian Marathon and a pensioner dying in Austria a seperate case.

there have been a several hospital cases in middle Europe due to hornet stings...

I visited my beehives on Sunday afternoon and there were two Asians (hornets) sat on top of the beehive.. I gave them big headaches! :boxing_smiley:
are you sure they were asian hornets? have you reported the incident? (DEFRA)

I can't be sure they are Asian as I have never seen a specifically identified Hornet.

I have described them and it was suggested they were Asian. They are larger than the European ones I have seen and have a red\burgandy head and thorax and a stripy bum.

I will try and get a photo, but crap camera+crap photogropher=crap pictures!

I might be better off trying to catch one...

Hi Tonybloke,
The pictures you have listed are of the GIANT Asian Hornet. The "ordinary" Asian Hornet is the same size as the European Hornet and is predominantly black with a yellow ring towards the tip of the abdomen it is also the ONLY hornet that is totally silent in flight. I'll attach a pic if I can remember how:)
:cheers2: Mike

Asian Hornets (deceased:))

Ah ha! so the 'ordinary' asian hornet is the same size as our 'local' one? glad they not in england yet?

I have had a European Hornet's nest in a disused chimney all summer and was regularly catching them in my hornet traps but no Asian Hornets. Meanwhile my "apprentice", who lives about 1km away has been pestered with Asian Hornets all season as well as European.
I finally decided to sort the nest before the young queens emerged and left to hibernate. We have an off the shelf Hornet destroyer which projects a jet of spray up to 6 meters and will penetrate the nest. A whole can applied at dusk did the trick. Now 1 week later I am seeing Asian Hornets round my hives:(
Question:- Are hornets territorial? - it looks like it.
:cheers2: Mike

Latest posts

Back