Children first fishing rod recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I'm lucky that my parents-in-law live very close to the river Teme downstream of Tenbury Wells with easy access possible to both private water and Birmingham AA stretches. I've fished there with a fly for trout and grayling and my children are now showing an interest. There are some barbel, chub and dace but I have never really gone after them. The bankside vegetation can be challenging unless you are wading mid-stream or very skilled at casting.
My children are younger than I can remember first fishing with a fly (probably when I was 11-12) so I'm wary of starting off with one of my fly rods.
What I think would be easier all round in terms of casting ability/attention span/chance of success/parental stress would be a float-fished or legered worm/maggot. What I'd like to get is a light spinning rod of 9ft length (casting weight 5-25g???) that could be used for worming but would also be useful in the future. I have a heavier spinning rod that wouldn't be much fun with a 1/2 lb trout.
Any recommendations/advice? I was hoping that there would be a basic Daiwa/Shakespeare/Abu model that would fit the bill. I'm not up to speed on current rod prices but I don't need super hi spec and was hoping for price to be around £40. I have a reel (an old mitchell 300 that I think dates from the late 1950s or early 60s that belonged to my Dad).

Thanks

Hi
I'm lucky that my parents-in-law live very close to the river Teme downstream of Tenbury Wells with easy access possible to both private water and Birmingham AA stretches. I've fished there with a fly for trout and grayling and my children are now showing an interest. There are some barbel, chub and dace but I have never really gone after them. The bankside vegetation can be challenging unless you are wading mid-stream or very skilled at casting.
My children are younger than I can remember first fishing with a fly (probably when I was 11-12) so I'm wary of starting off with one of my fly rods.
What I think would be easier all round in terms of casting ability/attention span/chance of success/parental stress would be a float-fished or legered worm/maggot. What I'd like to get is a light spinning rod of 9ft length (casting weight 5-25g???) that could be used for worming but would also be useful in the future. I have a heavier spinning rod that wouldn't be much fun with a 1/2 lb trout.
Any recommendations/advice? I was hoping that there would be a basic Daiwa/Shakespeare/Abu model that would fit the bill. I'm not up to speed on current rod prices but I don't need super hi spec and was hoping for price to be around £40. I have a reel (an old mitchell 300 that I think dates from the late 1950s or early 60s that belonged to my Dad).

Thanks

I know the area you speak of very well Jimmy.
And have taken my children down Ludlow side of the teme where you can walk the banks a lot easier, stone beached areas.
We were using telescopic rods with spinners.. The ones you have to extend out.
The teme is a lovely river to walk.

Last edited:
If you were nearer I could sort you out with a rod/reel combo suitable for kids for les than £30.00 (although as the club is locked down for the duration I'd have difficulty getting to the stockroom)
The rod is the important bit of kit, you can always afford to go maximo el cheapo on reels as 'quality' ones seldom last longer than cheap in the hands of kids (remembering my early fishing days here :D)
Try Leeda, they do entry level tackle at a reasonable price, We always used to stock up on 8 and 9 foot rods for the kids in the club shop. Unfortunately the tacklebargains website has closed, you could always get a bargin on there.we used to buy cheap but reliable reels in bulk on there, and if they broke, a fiver for a replacement (whether under the sales of goods act, or little Jonny being a wee shite) was neither here nor there to the parent or association.

Update - went for a Fladen vantage rod, combination of £,
supporting local tackleshop and lack of online availability of Leeda rods etc.
Luckily both children caught fish (tiny minnows, didn't bother them though) and I pulled rank with a grayling of at least 1/4lb.
Rewarded myself for my efforts with a new fly rod + reel :)

Update - went for a Fladen vantage rod, combination of £,
supporting local tackleshop and lack of online availability of Leeda rods etc.
Luckily both children caught fish (tiny minnows, didn't bother them though) and I pulled rank with a grayling of at least 1/4lb.
Rewarded myself for my efforts with a new fly rod + reel :)

Fladen is a good entry level worklike rod.

Latest posts

Back