Chicken possibly stung by bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone ever had one of their chickens stung on the foot by a bee? Noticed a couple of hours ago that one of our Buff Orps was mainly sitting and then limping when she got up. Checked her out and her right foot and lower leg is more pink, warm and swollen. Have brought her inside and given her some Loxicom. No loss of appetite. She's just sitting on the mat in the kitchen now as she does not want to put weight on the foot. We'll see how she is in the morning and take her to the vet if no better.

It's probably a result of my rural background but I'm amazed anyone would incur vet costs for a chicken when they taste so good😋
Bad man.....should be fine had chickens and bees for years. Never any need for a vet.

Has anyone ever had one of their chickens stung on the foot by a bee? Noticed a couple of hours ago that one of our Buff Orps was mainly sitting and then limping when she got up. Checked her out and her right foot and lower leg is more pink, warm and swollen. Have brought her inside and given her some Loxicom. No loss of appetite. She's just sitting on the mat in the kitchen now as she does not want to put weight on the foot. We'll see how she is in the morning and take her to the vet if no better.
Have you checked the foot properly? could well be 'Bumblefoot' - google it if you don't know it.

chickens at home have become pets, so I'm overruled when it comes to visits to the vets. One got stung a few years ago and was given antihistamines / anti-inflammatory's. Perfectly fine following day and I'd dose them myself now for any future stings. If you have OTC medicines they are weaker than anything you will get from the vet by prescription, so you can use more if symptoms persist.

They're pets and 4 out of 6 we hatched with a now departed (and sorely missed) broody Wyandotte, so whilst we're not going to go to incur the same expense as when we had cats, we would get a sick chicken checked out. She's back on both feet this morning and has rejoined the flock. @Mint Bee We had some Loxicom left over and so gave her that. It's a vet prescribed anti-inflammatory/pain killer. One of our Brahma's got stung on the comb last year and we have her that. Antihistamines don't work with chickens as they don't release histamine, unlike us. @Murox Checked her feet and it's not bumblefoot.

the other half has taken a chicken to the vet before, vets dont seem to have any idea about chickens other thanits a chicken its also expensive.

our bees have stung our chickens because the chickens are twerps at best, they get over it and might even learn from it. other than the routene treatments i have 2 treatments for chickens purpel spray or neck stretches

Our last 2 are definitely pets now, as they went off lay before Christmas and still haven't come back on. I am not authorised to perform neck stretches, but do baulk at £25 for a chicken euthanasia.

I had several chickens, one black, and that learnt quite quickly that when I walked over to the hives it meant bees flying around, and legged it to the other end of the garden. I’m not sure if it got stung once, or just buzzed, but I watched it run away fast the first time. They do like larva, both wax moth and bee. The brown and white ones stayed around, just the black one left the area.

Latest posts

Back