Checking on emerged queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Twidle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Balancing safety against curiosity, when would members recommend as the safest / best time to check to see if a queen has emerged in a mating nucleus (3 frame nucleus colonies) ?

Some get paranoid over checking colonies with virgins, now as long as you go in gently I’ve not had issues. I’m happy to check a few days after emerging and then leave for a week or 2. By that time many are up and running. I like to look to check on any duff cells and a visual on the queen to see if she’s got all the right bits!. At least then I can add another cell sooner rather than later. Ian

You can check if Q has emerged from QC two days after due date. Takes about 5 seconds if QC inserted in cutout in CB.
Then leave well alone for three weeks is my motto.

3 weeks……. Anyone got some hives I can play with? I don’t know if I can sit on my hands for 3 weeks🙈

I’ve found the virgins in the swarms I’ve hived have been mating much quicker than that. I know it’s against common wisdom but I checked in on them weekly (earlyish in the morning when she was unlikely to be on a mating flight), as I was keen to understand how the colony/queen was developing (being a beginner). There was capped brood after two weeks in all four swarms and I think three of these were likely to be casts with virgin queens.

I’ve found the virgins in the swarms I’ve hived have been mating much quicker than that. I know it’s against common wisdom but I checked in on them weekly (earlyish in the morning when she was unlikely to be on a mating flight), as I was keen to understand how the colony/queen was developing (being a beginner). There was capped brood after two weeks in all four swarms and I think three of these were likely to be casts with virgin queens.
But that's a different matter, the virgins in the swarms emerged and hardened days before flying off with the swarm so they are quite a few days ahead of virgins emerging in mating nucs

But that's a different matter, the virgins in the swarms emerged and hardened days before flying off with the swarm so they are quite a few days ahead of virgins emerging in mating nucs
Yes I fully expect a cast virgin to be out mating the following day if the weather is good.
I got a cast swarm from the Tree Bees which had capped brood 11 days later

Some get paranoid over checking colonies with virgins, now as long as you go in gently I’ve not had issues. I’m happy to check a few days after emerging and then leave for a week or 2. By that time many are up and running. I like to look to check on any duff cells and a visual on the queen to see if she’s got all the right bits!. At least then I can add another cell sooner rather than later. Ian

It's also best to do it first thing in the morning or in the evening after flying has stopped, or you may find the virgin flies off.

Ahh ok 👍

Latest posts

Back