Check your bee suit . . . . .

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headnavigator

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Please check the stitching on your bee suit and make sure it is not of this kind:
Today my bee suit fell apart after washing as I was about to hang it out to dry. One complete side of the front zip had come adrift and then the seam right down to the top of the legs.

When I looked carefully it was to find that it had been stitched together with the kind of machine chain-stitch that only needs one thread to be pulled to unravel altogether. I can't think of anything much more dangerous in a beesuit - only a couple of hours earlier I had been helping a friend with some atrocious bees and even with care and caution we both had multiple stings. Had the suit fallen apart then I cannot imagine the mess I'd have been in. :(

This was a *bay purchase last Summer for about £45 when I started classes. (No idea now who from). It has only been used in earnest for five weeks of my own beekeeping. Up until now I had been pleased with it. I have spent all afternoon restitching every seam and zip but still feel doubtful about it.

Please check that yours is constructed rather more safely?

I agree - I had a white suit that I bought about 18 months ago a couple of washes saw seams going. At the end of last summer the veil really started to go - just was not robust and seemed to be brittle.

This year, I bought a beesuit from a well known manufacturer in Cornwall - hugely better, and a pleasure to wear.

Cheers
Tim

b ~ J Sherriff suits are about the best as i have washed mine over and over. but there not cheap!

I like to use the smock type.
But I made the mistake of whearing my button up jeans the other day and guess what, the bees can find all the small gaps, now that brings tears to your eyes, plus dance moves that you never thought you had.....

Brian

But I made the mistake of whearing my button up jeans the other day and guess what, the bees can find all the small gaps, now that brings tears to your eyes, plus dance moves that you never thought you had.....

Brian

Now that did make me laugh :smilielol5:

....I made the mistake of whearing my button up jeans the other day and guess what, the bees can find all the small gaps.....

Brian

LOL I goofed the other day, I have a great BB wear full suit, but decided to just slip my hat and veil on over my boiler suit when I needed to de-queen a colony in preparation for an introduction. I realised my mistake when while I was looking down at the hive I noticed a bee that was flying around below belt level had suddenly disappeared somewhere in the area of the bottom popper which incidentally was missing; luckily it reappeared out of my boiler suit a very long two seconds later.

Another bee then managed to creep up the back of my veil and stung me on the neck, it was at that point I decided to take a walk back to the shed and return more properly attired.

Brian
I know it's an old one but did the doctor give you something to take away the pain but leave the swelling!

Brian

I've just read this out to everyone in my office and we all had a good old laugh! Thanks for brightening up our day!

b ~ J Sherriff suits are about the best as i have washed mine over and over. but there not cheap!

You get what you pay for, i bought one 12 years ago and is still going strong, they offer an excellent after care service, two years ago i rang them for a quote for a new suit because one of the zips were going on mine, they said send it back and we'll put some new ones on, a week-10days after sending it off it came back with new zips, new elastic and a hole patched up properly, if i remember rightly it cost about £20! What a service!

C B

Back