Cheapest place for an empty nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make one.

Hedgerow Pete is your man for this. See his video on this web site.

Cheap Nucs

We've just had 20 made up at East Grinstead BKA @ £25 per nuc. Entirely functional and no metal roof. I've exterior painted them wit clear Cuprinol. All sold to members of our Assocn. We used a local stable manufacturing company and they used their off cuts. All in exterior ply. Why don't you ask around your association and see if you can get an order together. They told me they'd only do it in batches of 20 and as and when there is a lull in their primary business. Let me know if you want details.
IN

buy a £10 correx plastic one...bit flimsy but ok for a few weeks , i think bee r us co uk do them

best would be a high density polystyrene hive, i sure some on here know where to buy them

i think Rooftop is doing a national poly soon, he may also do National nuc

Last edited:
Hi all, thanks for the reply's but making one is way beyond me I'm afraid. But I have emailed my local assoc with Ironnick's idea. Sounds excellent to me so here's hoping they go for it. Otherwise all other idea's considered. :)

Don't Fragile Planet do a cheap one. Not sure of quality or anything.

No connection with them!

Peter

The prices are low so you should expect some defects.

I got a cheap one from Peter Harris (google beehiver maker). Metal roof. Solid and strong. Looks like elm ply if that exists, but what would I know!

Quite expensive
Mmmmmmmm........think I'll enrol on Woodwork for Dummies and then chat up the bloke who chops up wood in B&Q! Must be easier than thinking I could make 6 identical thrown cups at the pottery evening class, yep they were thrown!

Correx is the same stuff that estate agents use in their for sale signs.

Now is the time to get second hand corex sheets for varroa trays or nuc boxes etc. Last weekend I was offered 15 8'x4' and countless 4'x2' sheets, they all say 'vote UKIP' but I don't suppose the bees will mind!!

Si.

Regards the correx nuc box's,they are very good,but it's cheaper to just buy them than try and make the box's from sheets of correx.

Rather than a tenner for a correx plastic box 'that will last a few weeks', I would be paying RoofTops a pony for a polystyrene one that would last 'a few years' - probably more than twenty.

No contest on 'value for money'. But frame size can be a difficulty with poly hives.

The only advantage of the correx ones is the stackability of umpteen in storage, as far as I can see (oh, and a huge mark-up at a tenner each!). Free correx - yes. I recently bought a 2.4 x 1.2 m sheet of 8mm correx type plastic sheet for a tenner. Could have been half the price.

Regards, RAB

You would need sheets of correx 5'x3' for each box, and the cutouts and folds,shapes ect are so many that it would never be even worth attempting to make them,you can buy them much cheaper in bulk....and they are good to use all summer,i even know a man that has used them over winter......;)

Latest posts

Back