cheap sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Apparently Bookers are selling sugar to beekeepers at 60p per kilo. Is there a better deal out there?

You can go and register at the wholesaler and get a card through in two weeks... (then all the store may be open to you):cheers2:

Last edited:
Netto, 49p a kg for Tale & Lyle cane sugar with a limit of 5 bags per customer.

If you go along to Bookers you will need two forms of ID and to complete a form. Once completed they will give yopu a temporary card which you can use straight away. When I mentioned beekeepers they registered me as an office, cant see the comparison but who knows/cares?
Biggest problem I have found is I am spending too much on 'other' stuff as well as sugar.
You can buy jars of sweets just like I bought when a kid......blackjacks, cough candy all terribly bad for you :)

Ah, but I have the card already... anyone in my area- want to come over with me to collect sugar-

It seems that as long as you can prove you keep bees (bdi certificate) you will get a card.

I've done a similar thing in the past with Costco - for which you pay a yearly membership (£25?) - its then around 60p/kilo. Cheapest if you can get a group of you together, as although the membership card is only valid for 1 person, they don't stop you taking other folk round and just letting the member pay!

There is no need for any additional ID, all Bookers management were emailed about this scheme at the start of August and the relaxed requirements for ID. My local branch didn't even look at my BBKA membership card.

Hmmm. Just did the bookers thing and paid £13.99 for 25 Kilos= 56p/kilo
:cheers2:
Thinking of New Year, couldnt see any Fondant, any ideas

HTML:
How many did you buy Heather and what was the cost ?

5kg was £22.5.

Will ask Bookers, but don't recall seeing it there

HTML:
How many did you buy Heather and what was the cost ?

5kg was £22.5.

Will ask Bookers, but don't recall seeing it there

5kg for £22.50:svengo:

i have as many 12.5kg blocks for sale at £22.50ea as anyone wants:cheers2:

On a serious note i may have some spare if anyone is interested for collection ex Essex or Huntingdon.

Regards

C B

I know wasn't cheap - but it was my only contact- still searching.
Didnt need to use much last year. Now more colonies and all low on stores- just hope Sept brings in more.

So where was your source of supply CB - do they have a national outlet??

Heather ask your local Baker's.

Most will order for you at around £10 or less for 12.5kg blocks.

Just offer them a couple of jars of honey as you ask..

I know wasn't cheap - but it was my only contact- still searching.
Didnt need to use much last year. Now more colonies and all low on stores- just hope Sept brings in more.

So where was your source of supply CB - do they have a national outlet??

They will deliver if you order enough, else do as admin says and ask your bakers, Bako and various other wholesalers will be able to help if you set up an account.

5kg was £22.5.

:eek: :eek:

Even Thornes have Apifonda at £6.28 for 2.5kg and £28.25 for 12.5kg

OK there is significant postage to add but when tagged onto an equipment order that is at least 100 quid they haven't charged extra in the past.

Fondant supplier:

Don't know whether they are a national company or not but I got my fondant from Friar's Pride (of Peterborough, or Peterborough branch). Was cheap - then. It is probably rock solid and will need to be recycled as a liquid feed now. Nevermind, I will likely be working in Peterborough again before I need any.

I remember well the first time I wanted some. I was given the phone # of the local baker and that of Friar's Pride. The cost differential was a factor of 2.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back