Cheap sugar for autumn feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
You may not want it now but 2x25kg bags of granulated sugar is total £30 at b**kers until beginning May. That is 60p a kg.

very good price

How longs a piece of string? I work on an average of 20kg per colony over a year, if less then that's a good thing it will give me spare sugar if I need it other times.

You may not want it now but 2x25kg bags of granulated sugar is total £30 at b**kers until beginning May. That is 60p a kg.

Was £35 per 2 x 25kg bags until recently so it's a very good deal.

Thank you for the heads up, that's a really good price :thanks:

How much sugar does one hive get through in an average winter?

It depends how much of their stores you remove and when you take the crop as well as if you remove any honey from the brood box. Temperature and general 'weather' as well as the size of the colony and type of bee also have an impact on the amount of food they'll need to make it through from autumn to when flowering plants provide them with food in Spring.

None of mine were given any syrup last autumn nor were they given any fondant - but they're all in Jumbo Langs, no honey was removed from any brood box and all colonies are close to a lot of flowering ivy as well as other autumn and winter flowering plants. It was also a very mild winter, so they were able to fly almost every day to collect stores. It wasn't typical, because the winter before (long, cold and wet) they all got 6.5kg fondant in late autumn, some of them needed topping up in February.

Latest posts

Back