Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

SixFooter 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Doesnt work very well from here. The connection speed vairies a lot at the weekend (and school holidays), so chat's a bit difficult.

wightbees 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Well i had a look and i think they are all hiding from me.

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
And i can't find the chat room button anymore...you aren't kidding me... there is one?

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
all alone...

Grub 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
couldn't get online to the forum last night - error message !

Same for everyone
I thought people were having a chat ?
Bee chat I re-queened a very aggresive hive very dark brown , with a New Zealand queen copper yellow any way this was done with a nuc, over the weeks the NZ got bigger and the dark brown less but the brown bees would not mix with the NZ bees at all and kept them selves to them selves using 3 frames, I had never saw this before.

Grub

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Thats what happened to me when I combined some golden NZs with brown bees... last season....then I had a think and realised that the brown bees were old bees, so they were hanging around the edges and going out foraging, but the NZ bees had lots of newly emerged bees, so that was why they were the ones covering the brood. It looked strange looking at the frames.. like bee Apartheid, but makes sense.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have read that queens do the same when mating.
She will always mate with her own kind if she can while ignoring darker/lighter drones.

Same for everyone
I thought people were having a chat ?
Bee chat I re-queened a very aggresive hive very dark brown , with a New Zealand queen copper yellow any way this was done with a nuc, over the weeks the NZ got bigger and the dark brown less but the brown bees would not mix with the NZ bees at all and kept them selves to them selves using 3 frames, I had never saw this before.

Grub

Hombre 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
I have read that queens do the same when mating.
She will always mate with her own kind if she can while ignoring darker/lighter drones.
Interesting concept Admin, I had never considered a suite of regal evasive manoeuvres to be part of the mating ritual. Sounds a bit like rear facing radar and chaff dispensers. What happened to the swiftest luckiest drone concept?

At speed and on the wing, I'm not sure what latitude for such evasive manoeuvres HM might have? This is an area in which I'm a bit dim.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I will try and find the research paper out that talks about it.

Latest posts