Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Deux Ruches 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Number of Hives
Hi Admin. I have asked previously if it's possible to have DADANT as a hive type. As there are now members with this in their profile, it must be there somewhere, please can you advise, There isn't a dadant selection in my "edit Profile"
Nick

admin 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I will sort it today for you ;)

admin 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
It is already an option,2nd choice to last.

Its between Commercial and Other.

drstitson 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Number of Hives
shame...

i thought this was going to be a thread on the mechanics of switching from one type of hive to another.

i have built brood boxes that can take both langstroth and dadant frames comfortably and adaptor ekes to allow splitting from one into the other.

Mike a 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
i thought this was going to be a thread on the mechanics of switching from one type of hive to another.

i have built brood boxes that can take both langstroth and dadant frames comfortably and adaptor ekes to allow splitting from one into the other.
May be you could share with us your method and equipment used for any one considering some thing similar in the future. Would be a nice way to continue on this thread.
:p

wightbees 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
How do you get on with the frame width difference of the Dadant. When i put them in a langstroth box and added a shallow Eke like you i have to make a dummy up as the frames are different width.

Black Comb 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10+
I'm running jumbo L/S brood boxes which take MD deep frames.
They take 10 Hoffmanns, I believe MD take 11.

RoofTops 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
Dadant and Langstroth have different width side bars but I don't think it makes any difference mixing them up in a box. The bees don't mind.

drstitson 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Number of Hives
dadant to langstroth and vice versa

Must emphasise that these options were knocked up in emergency situations whilst waiting for my own hive order to arrive!

shallow eke was just made using lengths of timber a few cm square that i had handy - tall enough for the clearance at the bottom for the dadant frames and wide enough to overlap both top of dadant and bottom of langstroth. only temporary so undrawn outer frames with outer gap. no dummy needed.

the D-L brood box was similarly made from some spare pine boards that i had handy (ikea casualty area bargains). from memory - don't quote me - 500x325 side boards, 300 high end boards and a strip of timber at each end to close the recess for the lugs. made to fit the frames, the sizes of timber to hand and the internal footprint of the dadant rather than anything more formal.

Black Comb 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10+
Dadant and Langstroth have different width side bars but I don't think it makes any difference mixing them up in a box. The bees don't mind.
So this means the double bee space between the frames is wider on a dadant?

Deux Ruches 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Number of Hives
Sorry Admin. the last selection I have available is comercial, and the last part of the word comercial is off the page. I have tried to adjust the box size, but that's not possible
Nick.

Latest posts