Changing hive entrance direction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turn the hive 180°.

If it can be left until more consistent temperatures then that might well be a good call, but healthy bees have no trouble finding the door given an initial bit of confusion.

Morning all, would anyone have a good/quick tip to change a hive entrance direction by 180° please?
Did this last week on 2 of my hives. Wanted to turn them a full 180 degrees and did this by turning them in the end 45 degrees every 2 days. Tried jumping to 90 deg on one of the increments but noticed that early on the day and late in the day they struggled to find entrance - maybe because less bees around entrance to show the way. Went back to 45 degree increments after that.

Slowly is the only way. I once turned a hive, and they clustered where the entrance was :-(

Slowly. Fast is for horses,

Ok, thanks all. I have in the past turned it 180° in 1 go and added a top entrance above supers on the original direction. As the old bees slowly die off, the top entrance gets blocked off with all remaining bees being used to the new orientation. This is an ok solution but only works if the hive is strong enough to avoid risk of robbing, etc.

Bees can starve in March. At the moment it looks like they could starve in April 2022

Latest posts

Back