Changing Floors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peebels

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Having noticed a lot of debris on the floor of the hive, I figured it would be easier and much less of a disturbance to make an additional floor and just swap it over. Is there a particular point in the development of the colony that this should be done?

P

Having noticed a lot of debris on the floor of the hive, I figured it would be easier and much less of a disturbance to make an additional floor and just swap it over.

That is practical way to handle the issue. The floor has often black slime and mold after winter. I wash it and dry with propan torch.

I change the floors and brood chambers as soon as the weather is warm enough, I try to keep spare equipment for this so without messing about I substitute a clean (flamed) floor and brood chamber (only takes a few minutes), ready for the season, also it allows me to check the hive debris on the floor and the condition of the colony so that if need be, rectify any problems early on.

Enzo

Did mine a couple of days ago.
I moved the hives onto new hive stands.
Lifted brood box and roof leaving the floor behind,cleaned old floor and put it onto new hive stand then put the box and roof on the cleaned floor and removed mouse guards.
About 100 dead bees on each floor.

Talk by bee inspector this week and he mentioned dead bees off the floor are a good opportunity to check for nosema.

Just spent a happy pm changing the floors, removing guards and feeding syrup. Doesn't take long to change floors if you have clean ones ready. Bees took little notice.
Cazza

Cazza it may still be a little early to be feeding syrup?

I was taught that if you feed syrup early the bees get very excited and burn a lot of energy up,they also use more energy storing some of the syrup.
This can lead to an early death of the older bees just when you need to hang onto them a little longer until the new brood is hatched and can take over from them.
Once the crossover period is complete it is then fine to give a syrup feed.

Feeding fondant this time of year may of been a better idea as they consume fondant as its taken and it's not stored,other members thoughts please?

:smilie_bett:Fundamentally agree. Feeding syrup of any kind (thick or thin) should still be some way off, particularly this year. Let everyone have a nice quiet lie-in for a few weeks yet. I also get one nice quiet lie-in a year, although mine doesn't last two months!

Last edited:
:smilie_bett:Fundamentally agree. Feeding syrup of any kind (thick or thin) should still be some way off, particularly this year. Let everyone have a nice quiet lie-in for a few weeks yet. I also get one nice quiet lie-in a year, although mine doesn't last two months!

agree, the only thing flowering in the london micro climate is crocus, snowdrops and a bit of willow...what ever you did last year add 3 weeks...if it worked that is

Hi

Feeding at the moment and have been doing it for for a week or so, never noticed any issues over the years. Not heard that one before........................Is there any evidence or research, because it rather goes against advice for a stimulative feed for pollination/rape.

Regards Ian

Hi

Feeding at the moment and have been doing it for for a week or so, never noticed any issues over the years. Not heard that one before.........

Regards Ian
Same here,never had any problems yet,in fact it saves them the effort of having to collect so much water.

Oliver Field from Hants is the man I got it from.
He worked in partnership for many years as a bee farmer with Rowse or Gale,cant remember off hand what one it was.

Have cleaned up the floors on my hives and replaced old comb, also fed syrup to help draw the comb out on new foundation.
In my Langstroth double brood box I have 6 frames of brood in the lower box , not bad for the time of year.

Regards.

Oliver Field from Hants is the man I got it from.
He worked in partnership for many years as a bee farmer with Rowse or Gale,cant remember off hand what one it was.

What did they do Admin,not spring feed at all,or feed them syrup when they moved them to the rape. Sounds like he was talking a load of old carp to me.

Last edited:
Fed fondant until mid April then syrup,he also fed syrup in June during the gap as he used to go to the heather in the New forest and wanted the bees to be ready,he said that if he fed syrup to the bees they stored less than 5% in the combs(yes PH it is heather in the New Forest,even if it is mainly bell).

Precisely. Feeding syrup causes some excitement, gives them a tails up, gets them going... If you want bees for the OSR then syrup is your friend.

Running timber hives? Your oldies are dying off now. syrup will make litle odds as far as I can see.

Polys are not so vulnerable as they have not been stretching to rear brood this last three weeks. timber ones have. (I bet)

I checked an AMM yesterday and they had eggs 2 days old... corresponds to Spring opening up on Tuesday.

PH

>Fed fondant until mid April then syrup

Must of kept his bee's in some really dire place.no spring flowers at all.

>Fed fondant until mid April then syrup

Must of kept his bee's in some really dire place.no spring flowers at all.

I think your right,all he spoke of was Rape with very little other stuff mixed with it that was taken off then syrup fed then off to the heather extracted then fed again.

Latest posts

Back