Change of use?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
I have some 5:1 thymol mix (500ml of surgical spirit and 100g of thymol crystals mixed....do they call that an emulsion?) made up for adding to sugar syrup.

Can I adapt this for use on kitchen towel or a thin sponge to treat for the Big V in the Autumn?

Previously I've stuck with Apiguard which is v.v.v.expensive with the number of hives that I've got.

Emulsions are two things that don't want to be mixed...one "hanging" in the other, like vinaigrette.

Was thinking of making the homemade apiguard recipe...the one with veg shortening, sugar and thymol but haven't heard if anyone else has...

I think it may evaporate to fast before the bees get enough.

I use heated olive oil.

I use a large bakebean tin on a camping stove in the garden to make it.

What you already have is a solution,you mix the solute(Thymol) to the solvent(White spirit) to make a solution.

An emulsion is two liquids that do not mix such as oil and water,rather than mixing one stays in suspension.

I think it may evaporate to fast before the bees get enough.

I use heated olive oil.

I use a large bakebean tin on a camping stove in the garden to make it.

What you already have is a solution,you mix the solute(Thymol) to the solvent(White spirit) to make a solution.

An emulsion is two liquids that do not mix such as oil and water,rather than mixing one stays in suspension.

Ah, apologies, I am terminologically inadequate! :eek:

I think that I'll start afresh with Pete's recipe and save the other for the feed!

Emulsions are two things that don't want to be mixed...one "hanging" in the other, like vinaigrette.

Was thinking of making the homemade apiguard recipe...the one with veg shortening, sugar and thymol but haven't heard if anyone else has...

MMMmmmmmm vinaigrette :drool5:

Sorry I'm hungry.:p

Latest posts

Back