change of colour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone out there ever noticed buckfast queens change colour. A couple of months ago, my three buckfast queens were a light brown, now they are a dark brown. They are of various ages, from three years to one year. The hives are in two different places. my black bees are in a different place stay the same colour. Am i going through a retired persons moment, or should i go to specsavers. Ianf.

Has anyone out there ever noticed buckfast queens change colour. A couple of months ago, my three buckfast queens were a light brown, now they are a dark brown. They are of various ages, from three years to one year. The hives are in two different places. my black bees are in a different place stay the same colour. Am i going through a retired persons moment, or should i go to specsavers. Ianf.

Have they been on holiday at all?

You could be right, the hives are only 200mtrs from the distillery.

Never had buckfast but... Had a lovely amber coloured queen I caught in a swarm. She was a prolific layer and large and very calm. Saw her most times and her lovely glowing amber colour darkened as she got older. Off spring nothing special to look at though.

It is normal. The same apply for the Italian queens as well. I cannot say for other light coloured be races.

Latest posts

Back