Change in behaviour. Does it mean anything?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a queenless colony at the moment, with a sealed QC. For the last few days I've noticed bees exiting and entering the hive hovering for ages in front, 20 or 30 at a time. I've also seen bees coming out on to the landing board, turning round and going back in to the hive. The hive next door has bees zipping in and out after nectar. Today I noticed that the bees that were hovering have now reverted to the zipping in and out behaviour. Is this in any way significant? I really must try to get hold of Storch's book.

I have a queenless colony at the moment, with a sealed QC. For the last few days I've noticed bees exiting and entering the hive hovering for ages in front, 20 or 30 at a time. I've also seen bees coming out on to the landing board, turning round and going back in to the hive. The hive next door has bees zipping in and out after nectar. Today I noticed that the bees that were hovering have now reverted to the zipping in and out behaviour. Is this in any way significant? I really must try to get hold of Storch's book.

looks like a weak colony being robbed by other bees, put the block on to reduce the entrance to a minimum

Cheers MM. That one had crossed my mind. The block is on. I suppose its possible that the queen right colony is robbing the queenless one, although (at the moment) there are far more bees in the queenelss one. I need to get them different coloured jerseys so I can tell.

Latest posts

Back