Chances of a Q- hive surviving the winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethbryson

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a hive that swarmed late on last year and as far as i was concerned had no mated queen going into the winter. Anyway, i left them to it just to see what would happen. Today i was giving fondant to my other hive that is doing well and i just looked into the other to see what was going on. I hadn't seen Any bee's flying from it but when i opened it there are about 3 frames of bee's still there. I gave them some sugar syrup that i had left over and will wait to see what happens. what are your views on how likely they are to be viable this year??

Should've been united with your other colony. That's 3+ frames of bees wasted that could have been keeping your other HM warm whilst poised to raise brood as soon as possible.

"I have a hive that swarmed late on last year"

BTW How late - was it one of the end sept/early october heatwave ones?

Should've been united with your other colony. That's 3+ frames of bees wasted that could have been keeping your other HM warm whilst poised to raise brood as soon as possible.

"I have a hive that swarmed late on last year"

BTW How late - was it one of the end sept/early october heatwave ones?

thats exactly when it was.

Wth an unmated queen there you will start to get drone brood as soon as she starts laying. That will initiate ageing process of any remaining nurse bees. I had one last year (late supercedure - but far earlier than your swarm) and there were still enough bees to unite with another colony - can't remember the date I did it, off hand, but there were still an appreciable number of workers in a six frame nuc - or I would not have bothered. Of course, there may still have been a laying queen, at the end of the season, in that one - I most certainly didn't check!!

This year may be entirely different. They may get through to a time when a bought-in laying queen might recover the colony. You have another colony, from where you may be able to keep the colony going by transfer of emerging brood.

I would, like as not, unite after removing the queen and any drone brood frames. But people with only two colonies are often reluctant to give up on a limping colony (ask Rose Cottage about it!!).

I would say 'viable' as a colony - possible, with external help, but a very poor excuse for 'a colony'. 'Viable' as a production stock - very unlikely without a lot of intervention (and more than one other colony for the source of imported assistance unless that colony, too, is not expected to collect a decent surplus).

RAB

Last edited:
"BTW How late - was it one of the end sept/early october heatwave ones?

Thats exactly when it was."

I picked up a cute little swarm in one of my bait hives - found 2nd week oct with mostly open brood. currently cosy in a dummied down MB poly nat and holding on at the original 2-3 seams of bees.

I picked up a cute little swarm

As per my example, Doc S. A little different than a colony awaiting a queen to be mated so late in the year. But until the OP confirms drone brood there is a small chance there may be a 'good-ish' queen in there.

RAB

I gave mine the benefit of the doubt rather than donating workers to other colonies as 1. they'd gone to the bother of finding a suboptimally placed bait hive (east facing entrance on a shed roof on north side of house); 2. they had a decent brood:bee ratio all told so HM seemed to be trying her best and 3. they also seem to have good temperament (as far as can be judged when dealing with a tiny colony).

we'll see what happens come spring - they may decide to supercede early. who knows.

Latest posts

Back