Chalkbrood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the reticence?
I just need to get to the bottom of this.

Shookswarming isn't the answer - but why?
As I see it blackcloud the bees have invested a lot of energy and time in building the comb. If there is no advantage in them replacing it why would you insist they do?
It's been proven that EFB can be eradicated from a hive by getting them to build all new comb but what other advantages are there?

Why the reticence?

We’ve already said why!!…it’s a complete waste and achieves nothing that can’t be more sympathetically achieved.

So if you had an infestation or infection that could be, at least eased ,by a set of new comb you would choose a Bailey ?
This is just a slower version of a shook swarm surely?
Having the contaminated comb in the same hive as the new material is defeating the point of the object.
Replacing one comb at a time would be futile as it would be tainted as fast as its changed?
Requeening will be fine until she has done a few years and slows down allowing the infection to reappear -is this just kicking the can down the road.
Is it just the brutality that you object to or ,as I'm trying to get to without pushing your buttons too much ,are there other reasons?

Why the reticence?

Because most chalk brood is caused by the bees' lack of resistance to the fungus or the inability to clean out early infected larvae. Changing the comb does naff all. So you requeen with an unrelated queen
You do occasionally get a little chalk if the hive is in a cold damp spot....so you move it into the sunshine.
This mania for shook swarming verges on the criminal. Why do something you are told to do without understanding why...unless it's here, of course ;)

So if you had an infestation or infection that could be, at least eased ,by a set of new comb you would choose a Bailey ?
Having the contaminated comb in the same hive as the new material is defeating the point of the object.
Replacing one comb at a time would be futile as it would be tainted as fast as its changed?
Requeening will be fine until she has done a few years and slows down allowing the infection to reappear -is this just kicking the can down the road.
Is it just the brutality that you object to or ,as I'm trying to get to without pushing your buttons too much ,are there other reasons?
A Bailey change is certainly less brutal as you are not destroying all the brood which the bees have again invested vast amounts of time and energy in.

No. you requeen with an unrelated queen with resistant genes.
I had an Irish queen some years ago. They were really chalky. Replaced the queen and the colony is fine

Well if you think about it the fungus is in the comb AND all over the bees.
So you chuck contaminated bees out to stress them even further?

Ok there’s other supposed reasons for a shook swarm but your focused on chalkbrood.
I don’t see any problem with the process being slower and it’s certainly easier.
It’s not contaminated comb that’s the issue, change the queen to a better bee and problem solved.01C98DDF-8E99-42A7-B155-0173BB5438F3.jpeg
I’ve had chalkbrood before can’t find it atm
The Queens laying rate/age is nothing to do with susceptibility to CB.
You can do all the shook swarms you like but if the queens genetics mean she’s prone you achieve nothing!
I don’t object to the brutality for the sake of it. I’m happy to personally bang most things over the head to put on my plate.
However top it off with its wasteful and there’s better easier ways of achieving the same results then yes it’s pointlessly brutal. I’d also suggest it’s found favour purely for ease and beekeeping at the lowest common denominator, for those not so capable. Hence the reason it’s liked/promoted in certain ranks😉and completely ridiculed in more professional circles😂

Last edited:
When did you get it? In December you said you'd never managed to get an Amm queen to survive being accepted?
I haven't. That doesn't mean I've never had a hive of Irish bees.
Don't take it so personally. I have black bees from Ceri and I always keep a swarm or two of black bees that arrive free in May or June.
I have never had chalk brood in an orange colony
On the other hand I've never had CBPV in black bees so swings and roundabouts

Latest posts

Back