Chalkbrood & Frame Sterilisation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xgeordie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have seen signs of chalkbrood in a couple of my colonies this season - I will be requeening next year. Is it best to throw out frames from colonies with chalkbrood or can they be sterilised e.g with acetic acid?

I think the chalk brood fungus is probably present in just about every bee colony that there is. I think it is accepted wisdom that it only shows in colonies that have a genetic disposition to the disease.

I might have a go with a sulphur burner this winter. I am not sure exactly what nasties this will kill, but acetic acid fumigation is hassle.

Thanks MB.

I'm not familiar with a sulphur burner, but I can get acetic acid delivered for under £10 on *bay and having done some more digging it looks like other Beeks have used it for chalkbrood frames. I'll do the fumigation in an outside shed.

One of my hives is just clearing out cells and I have lots of chalk brood fossils on the floor catcher...............It is only the one hive the other two seem okay so I don't know if there is anything I can do for next year either.
Louise

The only way to treat chalkbrood is requeen, change the frames if black and let the bees do the rest. its all down to the strain of bee, so requeening will sort the problem out.

Obviously its to late this time of year as we move into the Autumn, but thats the way to go!!

Latest posts

Back