Chalkbrood and Nosema

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech55

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Could anybody offer some clear advise please on the following problems on one of my hives...

1/ chalkbrood.. I am getting an increasing amount of chalkbrood on the correx sheet everyday..treated with Bee Vital chalk brood (MycoStop) didn't seen to have any affect..

2/ same hive evidence of digestion problems with poo streaks on and around hive entrance also about ten bees lying about on the ground fairly lifeless...not sure if it's nosema, Would it perhaps be the bee vital (MycoStop) treatment may have upset them?

Inspected hive about a week ago all seemed ok save for the chalkbrood..

Really desperate for some sound advise..

Thanks D

University researches show that there are no chemical which heals chalkbrood,even if many companies say that their "stuff" affects on chalkbrood..

What you can do is to close the mesh floor if you have such. That is first aid.
Brood area temperature is too low and bees have difficulties to keep it warm enough.

Then bye a new queen which is resistant to chalkbrood. All new queens are not, but find such that you may weef off the CB sensitive genes from your yard.

You have in Britain bad weathers and bees make poo on the hive. Don't mind about that.

Chalk brood is vey common with this type of weather. The brood gets chilled and chalk brood results. It is difficult to know where you are as you have only said uk, but once again long poo is normal if they have been feeding for action and then locked up because of the cold. I wouldn't treat yet but that is my personal opinion, others may disagree.
I am sure others will reply soon
E

Last edited:
Thanks chaps..I am based in Norfolk UK..there has been a real change in the weather here, from unusually warm to cold and damp..

Last edited:
I have a similar problem- but wondered if the bees were hungry- I have tonight put some syrup on and given them a light spray with syrup. They are the smaller of my 2 colonies and I have fed my other one 2x but didn't think this one needed it but the weather has turned so cold and inclement,and they were building up well, I wonder if they used all their stores ( I'm in West Wales)? I haven't inspected recently, but seen little sign of chalk brood when I did..

Latest posts

Back