Chalk Brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SER

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was interested to see there was a few bits of chalkbrood on the varroa tray and chucked out of the front of the hive in the last few days.

My question really is, is there a particular age of brood that is more susceptible? I did my oxalic treatment between christmas and new year and am now wondering if I had more brood than I thought I would.

I guess it just shows the mild climate we have here in South Devon.

Si.

You did the right thing as far as I'm concerned.

The chalk brood is probably a separate issue.

When I did my first oxalic treatment (ever) it was in early november !!! (wrong) but they still did great.

:)

I believe that chalk brood is less of a problem nowadays now we have OMF's. Have you had your tray in under the floor all winter?

The only cure of chalk brood is a new queen. Not much you can do at this time of year but plan on re-queening, ideally from a different stock as early as possible. I think if you have chalk brood mummies being thrown out at this time of the year the problem might bad but you won't know for sure until the first inspection.

He'll be away making his pollen patties in the washing machine. in preparation for the start of the Finnish spring :)

Thing are like Rooftops says.

Now you know the presence of disease. If you have in spring empty holes in brood area and dead larvae, get a new queen from new stock.

Look other hives too if they have chalkbrood in drone combs.

Worker brood are may be totally Ok but chalkbrood may be in some part of drones.

Chalkbrood emerges in winter if bees do not get drinking water outsides.
If you saw now a sing, its meaning will reviele out in spring.

He'll be away making his pollen patties in the washing machine. in preparation for the start of the Finnish spring :)

Temps on my cottage are now at night - 25C and by day -20C.
here in Helsinki we have about -10C. Hives are covered with snow.
The sea keeps the temp high.

I start patty making in second week of April. Then half of snow has melted in cottage yard.

Latest posts

Back