Certan

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelenHP16

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone use certan to protect stored supers from wax moth? Thinking of trying it this year as I really don't like using acetic acid and don't have a spare freezer to put them in

Thanks

Does anyone use certan to protect stored supers from wax moth? Thinking of trying it this year as I really don't like using acetic acid and don't have a spare freezer to put them in

Thanks

Hi. I've used it every year for the last 4 years and never seen a single wax moth larvae, tunnel or silk in the supers the next spring. Some supers have even been used for brood at some point but were all clear. It's not super cheap but better than losing 25% of next year's crop on comb building. Easy to apply with a pump action sprayer too.

There was some concern of the active ingredients in certan, so I have avoided it for several years. It may have been cleared, healthwise, but I don’t need it +|so don’t use it.

Ethanoic acid is very corrosive, as is sulphur burning. I use sulphur sticks in a home-made can burner and that works well. These two kill more than just wax moth, so have other advantages at rather less cost than certan.

How much less than 2p/frame does it need to be to qualify as 'super cheap'? ;)

500g of DiPEL on eBay costs about £32

Fair point... I bought a litre bottle this year from beekeeping supplies at £96 which seemed like a big outlay in one pop but was more than enough to treat and have some left for next year.... It's more it seems a lot in one go

I can't find specifics about application, other than spraying each frame. It doesn't say whether they need to be dry, for example. Not sure if there is more detail on the bottle or leaflet.

What is the process after the honey is spun out, Bill, and does it still work if the bees have stored a small amount of pollen in the super?

CVB

Seal up boxes so they are bee proof (either strapped between blank boards or in plastic bags) stack outside but sheltered from rain.
Yes - by the spring the pollen mites will have sorted most of it.

Latest posts

Back