Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Mamahilz 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I can't seem to get information about treating my hive with Certan for Wax moth. I understand I can treat frames removed for storage. can I treat the frames currently in use? My colony has been weakend by wasp attack and lots of Varroa (still treating with Thymol). I have seen 4-5 larvae around the rim of the hive and plenty of wax moth poop on the OMF So I think it would be good to treat. (do people agree?) Do I spray directly onto the frames? Will this irritate any bees which get in the way?
I hope I don't sound too stupid- first hive- lots of learning....

barratt_sab 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Vita state that Certan is harmless harmless to bee larvae and adult bees. They also claim that it leaves no residue in wax or honey.

However, it is only effective against young wax moth lavae and the instructions indicate that it should be used as a preventative, before the infestation occurs.

So, it sounds like you could treat the frames with the bees on them, and it shouldn't harm the bees, bee lavae, combs or stores, but it may be less effective as you already have an infestation.

Midland Beek 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I am quite sure it is harmless if sprayed into a live colony, but that is not what Certan and other biological control products are for. Certan should be sprayed on unoccupied combs that are in storage.

As regards wax moth in live colonies, that is normally something you leave for the bees to sort out. However, with a weak colony, one might advise the light spraying of unoccupied combs.

If wasps are having free access then you might be wasting your Certan.

Mamahilz 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I am quite sure it is harmless if sprayed into a live colony, but that is not what Certan and other biological control products are for. Certan should be sprayed on unoccupied combs that are in storage.

As regards wax moth in live colonies, that is normally something you leave for the bees to sort out. However, with a weak colony, one might advise the light spraying of unoccupied combs.

If wasps are having free access then you might be wasting your Certan.
Thanks. The comb looks fine and there is no evidence of webbs etc so I presume the problem is early-
The wasps seem to be gone now (that I fed the hive (an the bees are fighting back more) and closed the entrance down and set lots of bottle wasp traps)- Midland Beek, were you saying that if wasps had free access they would deal with the wax moth larvae?

Midland Beek 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Midland Beek, were you saying that if wasps had free access they would deal with the wax moth larvae?
Come the point at which wasps can enter a hive freely without guard bees attacking them, well, that is often the point at which a colony passes the point of no return and is lost. Thereforwe, not much point worrying about the wax moth if the wasps are going to finish it off.

Stopping a wasp problem is a whole lot more difficult than preventing one from starting in the first place.

Latest posts