certan/b401 - do we not need a sticky ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
This is for those who want to use certan/b401 for wax moth control.

Others folks favour other methods (store wet/outside/the cold/sulpher etc etc) but this thread is for certan/b401

The hope is to catch the frames before any actual pupae emerge (its too late then)

Basically I am following this guide ->http://theapiarist.org/2017/11/

So bought some b401 from the italians and mixed it up and sprayed the frames...

A few questions for those who do use this ...

so I made up a litre of the solution but now its made up .. (brown fizzy water) ... how long is that valid for ? ... guessing the addition of water livens up the spores .. so wont remain active for months..and should chuck it out after a few weeks ?

is there any need to re-apply later in the season ?

Certanly (see what I did there?) no need to reapply.
I've stored it for < 1 month in the fridge, shaken it and applied ... no wax moth problems, but perhaps there weren't any wax moths to cause problems.
Park Beekeeping state that it must be used on the same day ...

Certanly (see what I did there?) no need to reapply.
I've stored it for < 1 month in the fridge, shaken it and applied ... no wax moth problems, but perhaps there weren't any wax moths to cause problems.
Park Beekeeping state that it must be used on the same day ...

This stuff has worked a dream over the winter ... so thanks to the folks that recommended it.

Found some frames that looked like they had wax moth in the bottom of the chest freezer during a clear out ... so will apply the residue of certan to them and see what happens now they are out and ready to be used during the spring

I've used religiously over the last 4 years and not had a single wax moth problem, the stuff works great. I've applied to stacks of supers that had some evidence of wax moth already present and it has dealt with them perfectly. You can store and use probably for a month or so if kept cool but if not refrigerated it starts to go off and smelly/stagnate. personally i'd just be over generous and use it all up in one go. Can't put a price on predrawn supers compared to a bottle of certan.

There are other types of Bacillus thuringiensis that are toxic to humans and bees

From the apilore.com web page.......
http://apilore.com/en/treatment/certan-b401-tratamiento-contra-la-polilla-594.html

When I read this it made me stop and think...... PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE !!

I have never had the need to use it as I have always put my wet extracted frames into a large chest freezer( Empty at extraction and wet frame storage time as awaiting the pork to come back from the abattoir)
This year we have melted out all of the wax from all of the super and brood frames ... starting with new English steralised foundation from Masies... Precautionary Principle again... can not be absolutely sure that there has been contaminated foundation used in the past.... cleaned wax will go for candles and polishes... NOT poncy wraps or cosmetics etc... and definitely not back into the beekeeping market as foundation.

Too many "chemicals" and GMOs polluting the planet as it is ... I am not going to be the one responsible for adding any more.

Yeghes da

Last edited:
Worked for me too and I usually get it badly
E
Ps I mean the frames. Not me before you comment!!!!

I've used religiously over the last 4 years and not had a single wax moth problem, the stuff works great. I've applied to stacks of supers that had some evidence of wax moth already present and it has dealt with them perfectly. You can store and use probably for a month or so if kept cool but if not refrigerated it starts to go off and smelly/stagnate. personally i'd just be over generous and use it all up in one go. Can't put a price on predrawn supers compared to a bottle of certan.

Called COSTING THE PLANET.........

:calmdown:

Certan is essential when your storing drawn brood comb during the season. Time and warmth = wax moth infestation.
Drawn comb is my 3rd most important commodity after the bees & the brood.

There are other types of Bacillus thuringiensis that are toxic to humans and bees

From the apilore.com web page.......
http://apilore.com/en/treatment/certan-b401-tratamiento-contra-la-polilla-594.html

When I read this it made me stop and think...... PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE !!

That web page is an advert to get you to buy their B401 ... there are two reports of B. thuringiensis (Bt) pathogenesis in humans, neither carried the insecticidal (cry) genes and so there's reasonable doubt they were Bt.

Bt isn't genetically engineered.

You're determined to spread your brand of doom and gloom aren't you?

Perhaps you should read Silent Spring...... brought me up sharp when I first read it in the 60s......

And now they are going on about plastics... pesticides.. herbicides and aspertame.... and school children are asking us why we did not do anything about protecting their environment!

Flush it down to loo... out of sight out of mind... and probably in the sea!

:welcome:

Certan is essential when your storing drawn brood comb during the season. Time and warmth = wax moth infestation.
Drawn comb is my 3rd most important commodity after the bees & the brood.

So did a demarree last week and at the weekend the frames that came out finally got a spray of certan and within minutes two caterpillars were out ready to be squished...guess the larvae had matured in the heat.

Checked the next day and another had come to the surface overnight.

Normally I spray the frames a few times over a few days to make sure I dont miss anything ...but glad I got that in the tool box and will try and spray frames closer to removal next time

Perhaps you should read Silent Spring...... brought me up sharp when I first read it in the 60s......

Everyone should read Silent Spring. I was only 10 years old when I discovered it. It changed my life forever.

Everyone should read Silent Spring. I was only 10 years old when I discovered it. It changed my life forever.

Animal Farm and Kes were enough thanks....

Latest posts

Back