Central Manchester

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Hi, I am new to bee keeping. We get our bees this week and we have a good mentor who will be supporting us over the next year. The problem is there are a few of us taking part and I am worried that I will be left stood at the back of the group and not get much hands on experience. There are a few more forthright members than me who leap into a suit before I get chance to open my mouth. If anyone near the Rusholme area would be kind enough to let me take a look at their bees I would greatly appreciate it. So far I haven't even touched anything in the hive, although I hope that will change this week. Still, some one on one mentorship would be wonderful. I will not have access to my own suit for a while.....the project is waiting on a shed before we are given our equipment to keep hold of, so if I could borrow one I would appreciate it.

Fingers crossed :)

Karen

oh, if only! Thanks for the offer, you are very kind :)

Hi, I am new to bee keeping. We get our bees this week and we have a good mentor who will be supporting us over the next year. The problem is there are a few of us taking part and I am worried that I will be left stood at the back of the group and not get much hands on experience. There are a few more forthright members than me who leap into a suit before I get chance to open my mouth. If anyone near the Rusholme area would be kind enough to let me take a look at their bees I would greatly appreciate it. So far I haven't even touched anything in the hive, although I hope that will change this week. Still, some one on one mentorship would be wonderful. I will not have access to my own suit for a while.....the project is waiting on a shed before we are given our equipment to keep hold of, so if I could borrow one I would appreciate it.

Fingers crossed :)

Karen

Why not try the Manchester beekeepers in Heaton Park ??

I think Mrs Bohme is Still Secretary :).

John Wilkinson

Thanks Victor, I have been told about this. I went to Abbey Hey this weekend, but there was that many people and only one hive. The problem was I am not very outspoken, so the people who already have bees of their own just dived into a suit and got the experience. I don't drive and had spent a lot of time planning to get there as I have 3 boys and needed to find childcare for them. I am on my own with them too. I got a peep in but it took me that long to get my suit on that by the time I got ready they were putting the hive back together. Abbey is only about 3 miles from me, but Heaton is way farther. I don't want to go through all that again, just to be left at the back again, so I was hoping to meet someone who would let me have a look at their bees as I would get the experience I am after. Even with our project I can see myself being the last to do anything as there are much more pushy people involved than me.

I don't want to sound like I'm moaning, it's just it took 3 days phoning about for childcare and a lift to get there this weekend, and I could have just watched something on you tube instead lol

Karen

We must have a member in your area that can help you out.
Give it a couple of days and someone will post ;)

Some members only read the forum while at work so you should get a reply next week.

Thanks, that would be wonderful :) I will keep my fingers crossed ( along with everything else ;) )

Maybe you could let your mentor (Paul?) know how keen you are, but that you feel overwhelmed by the others and he could spend some 1-1 or bring you in more? As an ex-teacher I know how hard it is in a group to see who is missing out, so just mention quietly maybe?

Back