Celotex insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumberman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 and ahem "a few more"
Just some casual observations about this material ( Dense foam insulation backed both sides with foil - building material to provide insulation in loft conversion etc.)

Just lifted off insulation ( over crown board) and quite remarkable how warm top of crown board is, so must be doing its job.

Reasonable amount of condensation below, and a little mouldy, so used the opportunity to turn over celotex and wipe down dampness with kitchen towel. They are all on OMF, so I'm not too perturbed by condensation.

One half of me thinks great, they are retaining heat, the other half of me just wonders whether this could be fooling the bees into believing that spring is closer than it is and therefore to be even more vigilant with respect to making sure stores are sufficient.

Opinions?

I find this type of insulation very efficient, I also use it down the back of my radiators:), the side facing the radiator is hot whilst the side facing the wall plus the wallitself is cold to the touch !!.

John Wilkinson

I built a top bar hive out of it a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't use waterproof glue but the concept was sound I think - even if the hive wasn't after a few months of rain.

I've used a few sheets of corrugated cardboard between crown board and celotex with the idea that it will absorb any moisture and allow some to escape at the sides as well.

Latest posts

Back