cell size and varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<I use the word 'knowledge', im not interested in opinions.>

Can they have an opinion based on their knowledge?

Only asking.

Last edited:
<I use the word 'knowledge', im not interested in opinions.>

Can they have an opinion based on their knowledge?

Only asking.

Aye, I was thinking the same, to form an opinion you need to have some knowledge of the subject... :willy_nilly:

I know im a miserable so & so but these threads always go off on a tangent when people start throwing their opinions about.

Doesnt seem to be much support for the cell size idea. Dont think I will bother

I read an article a few months ago ( yet again cant remember where) they had trialed it along with a university ( in America ) they though the smaller cells would give the varroa to small a gap between the developing bee and the cell wall to move to their preferred position in the cell. The conclusion they came to was that the developing bee was in proportion to the cell there for the varroa had the same gap to move around in.

I know im a miserable so & so but these threads always go off on a tangent when people start throwing their opinions about.

Doesnt seem to be much support for the cell size idea. Dont think I will bother

Sorry I bothered answering then. Gave you knowledge (as requested) as well.

beren, I think you put your question incorrectly for your needs.

What it seems you were looking for were responses from only those with 'experience' not simply knowledge.

Those with knowledge may not have experience.

However, those with experience will most certainly have knowledge.

Verroa control

verroa prefers drone cells - (the larger cells) often found at the bottom/lower ends of frames. It helps therefore to open a few (using verroa fork) drone cells to inspect numbers of the mite.

One way of Verroa control is to put a frame of drone foundation and this encourage more drone brood - which can then the taken out and replaced on a regular cycle to reduce verroa.

<One way of Verroa control is to put a frame of drone foundation and this encourage more drone brood >

True but get the timing wrong and you end up breeding varroa.

Latest posts

Back