Cell identification help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teignbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I had a look into one of my hives today and found this cell. Think it is a queen cell but not 100% sure. The cell is empty. This colony is a swarm that i collected on 15 june.There is plenty of brood covering 8 frames. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Looks like a play cup to me but im sure a more experienced eye will soon confirm or disagree.

Eight frames of brood is strong. It's unlikely they'll be wanting to swarm this late in the year, so if they raise a queen they'll supersede as HP said. Just keep watching it. It sounds like you've got a good queen already if she can lay like that, and it's a bit late for starting a new queen. Are there plenty of drones or drone cells in your hive? You'll need them if a new queen hatches. If there are not you may like to consider whether to do away with the cell and larva and stick with the queen you've got.

Steve

Its very simple.

Is there a larvae in here (seems so) ?

If so yes it's a queen cell if not it's a play cup and can be ignored.

PH

Like Poly hive says, it is a queen cell cup. It means nothing. Hives have those plenty.

No need to make decisions.

That is not really helpful.

Am I seeing a larvae in there? I think I am so lets go on that basis. On an aside how about learning to check if cells are occupied or not, this is not a cheap poke but a statement of reality.

I would guess, and it is a guess yhou have some three days or so maybe four before that cell is sealed and then of course a further 8 days before emergence.

PH

Absolutely. It is a queen cup - OK, its a big one and maybe when the bees made it they were thinking about supercedure, but either way I'd just leave it. They shouldn't swarm this late, and if they feel the need to supercede, let them.

G.

Thanks Wbchive,yes the cell is empty,i do know how to tell if a cell is occupied,
i just wanted to know if the cell was going to cause me any problems.

so from the size of the cell,how long have i got to make a decision?

That depends upon whether they decide to raise a queen in it. I can't remember the gestation periods of queen larvae offhand. They'll be in your Ted Hooper, or whatever you're using for reference. If they are going to bump off the old lady, they won't do it until the cell is sealed, and possibly not even then. Sometimes the two queens live together for a while before the old one is disposed of. Despite their orderly lives there are some unpredictable elements in their conduct, and whichever book you've read, they're sure to have read a different one!

Steve

If there is a larva, it would be double long.

In my every hive they have tends cups. As long as they have not larva there, don't think them at all and not look them again.

I have extra hives. If something happens, I give a new queen. I will not look after superceding or after poor mating. Before winter feeding I check that every hive has a queen and it has a good laying.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for al your replies and help. I have decided to go up this following weekend and see what the situation is. I will let you know the progress.Thanks again,this forum is invaluable.

OOps I missed the empty cell mention in the OP.

Empty queen cups are a zero worry. They only signify if there are larvae in them, eggs by the way do NOT signify.

A general comment here, if one does not know the table of development, then how on earth can one read a colony? Answer you cannot.

It is ESSENTIAL to know this info.

PH

A general comment here, if one does not know the table of development, then how on earth can one read a colony? Answer you cannot.

It is ESSENTIAL to know this info.

PH

Is it ESSENTIAL to know it, or is it OK to have it stuck inside the lid of my beekeeper's tool box, which lives in the shed, not at the side of my computer?

Steve

remember: one or twenty queen cell cups, forget them. There is no reason to follow them how are they. And it is late summer.

Absolutely. It is a queen cup - OK, its a big one and maybe when the bees made it they were thinking about supercedure, but either way I'd just leave it. They shouldn't swarm this late, and if they feel the need to supercede, let them.

G.

Gavin has vivid imagination.
Forget the cup.

Latest posts

Back