Cell builder colony japes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello, I wonder if it's appropriate for a new member and beginner to start a thread, ask a daft question or even attempt to raise queens in the first place...so apologies in advance
Anyhow, a while ago I set up a queenless colony...6 frame nuc packed with bees, sealed brood, plenty of food etc. They rejected the first grafts, possibly as the equipment was new. They then accepted 5 of 15 grafts...and we had new queens today. I used 4 elsewhere and decided in my (not so youthful) exuberance to release one queen into the colony and put them in a 12 frame brood box ....with their own 6 frames plus 6 of foundation.
It's now dawned on me that I set this colony up to encourage a swarm instinct....as of a few hours ago they're no longer overcrowded but they do have a queen to head away with.
So will they now swarm as soon as she is able to fly? Or could the new brood box have dissuaded them....my suspicion is that it would have were it not for the transference of their 6 frames of comb. Perhaps the correct move was to give them 12 frames of unfamiliar comb/foundation to go with the new box.(now that I think of it i also gave them a frame of sealed brood from another colony)

If they've only the one cell they're highly unlikely to go off, your plan sounds reasonable, I hope you get good luck with mating.

It seems ok to me although I would have preferred to have the other queens emerged elsewhere leaving just 1 emerging in the cell builder to make sure it doesn't give them any ideas. It seems unlikely that they will swarm although saying that I had 1 hive swarm this year with 1 single queen cell left in the hive. They left leaving behind 4 frames of bees (no brood) without any means of raising a new queen.

Latest posts

Back